Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Moms of School Age Kids

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM
  • 53 Replies

Do your kids get themselves ready for school in the morning? Or do you find yourself walking them through every step and prodding them to stay on schedule? Do they wake up on their own or do you wake them up? How old are they? 

Mostly just asking all these questions to see if my almost 8 year old is a freak of nature or if his mornings are pretty normal by his age lol. 

He is usually already up in the mornings when my alarm goes off. If he isn't I go & wake him up at 7:45 and he goes off to eat breakfast, brush his teeth, and get dressed. A good majority of the mornings I just stay snuggled up in bed lol. 8:15 I get up and start making his lunch if he didn't already decide to make it. Then we hang out and talk for a few minutes until its time to go wait for the bus. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:16 AM

My dd is 11 and she does everything including making her own breakfast but this school year starts very early so sometimes I have to get her up after she has already turned her alarm off. It's not bad though.

mcginnisc
by Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Mine are 7 and 5. They sleep together for some bizarro reason even though they have their own rooms...my 5 year old is not at a point where I can trust her to get up with an alarm and get ready. I wake them up at 6:45, tell them to get ready for school ( the 5 year old I monitor a little bit), make their breakfast and turn on the tv for them to watch a few minutes of something on the dvr before we are out the door at 7:30. They go to private school so there is no bus. :-) 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I think if it was earlier I may have a harder time with him in the mornings lol. Hes always been really good about taking care of stuff in the mornings. I know the fact that he is good to get up & get ready will be nice once the baby comes!

Quoting goddess99:

My dd is 11 and she does everything including making her own breakfast but this school year starts very early so sometimes I have to get her up after she has already turned her alarm off. It's not bad though.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:30 AM

When ds was 5 he had a bad tendency to go back to sleep after I got him up in the morning lol. So I understand not trusting her just yet. 

Quoting mcginnisc:

Mine are 7 and 5. They sleep together for some bizarro reason even though they have their own rooms...my 5 year old is not at a point where I can trust her to get up with an alarm and get ready. I wake them up at 6:45, tell them to get ready for school ( the 5 year old I monitor a little bit), make their breakfast and turn on the tv for them to watch a few minutes of something on the dvr before we are out the door at 7:30. They go to private school so there is no bus. :-) 

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

My son is 10 and I occasionally make sure he is brushing properly

heather77g
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I wake up all three of my kids and they all three (ages 9, 12, 15) get ready themselves and get their own breakfast.
timefor2
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

my daughter is 9 and gets up on her own, she pretty much does everything on her own without much prodding. My 7 year old needs lots of prodding to get everything done.

othermom
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine are almost 8 and 10 and they do okay. I have to wake my son up he is the slower of the two. I ususally will tell them to get ready after they get their breakfast, but it is usually just telling them  "shoes, hair, face, teeth" and they know what to do. I do bursh and put up my daughters hair.  My daughter usually gets up on her own and get her breakfast and will sometimes get dressed and get mostly ready with out me saying anything

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I wake all my children up ( 15, 13, & 7) but they fix their own breakfast and get themselves ready. I usually have to hurry along my 7yr old out the shower because he would stay in there forever but other than that he washes, dresses, and watches the time himself to go catch the bus.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

No way I would attempt showers in the morning. DS would be in there forever! lol

Quoting natural_s:

I wake all my children up ( 15, 13, & 7) but they fix their own breakfast and get themselves ready. I usually have to hurry along my 7yr old out the shower because he would stay in there forever but other than that he washes, dresses, and watches the time himself to go catch the bus.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN