Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

am i the only one?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM
  • 21 Replies

i'm really feeling like because i have children now, the world is moving around me but i'm stuck at home with the babies. i am young, but is this part of post pardum depression or is this normal to get disconnected from society once having children??

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Hugs.....It can be an adjustment period....you may try connecting with other young moms for support, fellowship, etc.

Paskell
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Hey sweetie... Im a young mom too and at 18 years old i gave birth to my twins. I promise you that its totally normal to feel out of place and disconnected. I was very over whelmed by it and it winded up that i had one of the highest cases of postpartum depression my doctor had seen in years. I hope that things get better for you and things fall into place for you the way they did me. Im now 28 years old and I look back and i can realize that it all happened for a reason. IT WILL GET BETTER!!! I PROMISE

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:39 PM

It's normal. It will get better.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I think it is normal.Do you have somebody to talk to?

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I think we all feel like that at some point after becoming moms. Our whole world changes & its hard to keep the same activities, friends, etc.  Have you looked into a local moms group or maybe even classes offered at your library for kids? It would get you out of the house & you could have a chance to socialize with other moms who are probably feeling just like you are!

SlapItHigh
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:34 AM

It could be normal and it could be pp depression.  I don't have enoug info to give an informed opinion on that. Can you make an appt with your dr to discuss it?  

That said, there is a real problem in our culture where mothers are isolated because we no longer live in community.  The village is gone.  After the industrial revolution, families stopped living with families and everyone became more isolated.  This isn't as problematic for people who go to work all day because they are generally round other adults.  

It's hard and counter-cultural but you can try to change the situation by connecting with other stay-at-home-moms.  Join a playgroup, a storytime, a church group, volunteer, etc.  Try as many angles as you can until you can make some connections and get regularly scheculed stuff going on each week that will hopefully flow into something a little less structured by forming friendships with other moms in your community. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I think most moms feel like that at some time. It gets better =)

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:22 AM

look for stuff to do , you don't have to feel this way ... when I was a SAHM I went out, went to walks, went to the park, I met other moms that way (hell it's the only way I got to meet my neighbours)  There are many places now that offer "stroller-cardio", mommy and baby classes, baby reading programs at your local librairy !!  Look into it, I'm sure it'll be worth your while !

Mandalynn252
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I felt that more accutely when I had my first child. I was on the younger end and I was dealing with it all on our own. None of my friends had any kids and I got snubbed for it. My family was ignoring me and we were going through a hard time financially. I was a mess. Hang in there. If you are into it, try to take your kids to a story time at your local library and meet some moms there. I'm not into that so I haven't made any mom friends. I think I will once my daughter starts school next year. What helped me is to take time for yourself. My husband would get home and I would hop in the car and just drive around running errands or just cruising around. Listening to music with the wind in my hair is a great stress reliever for me. Find something that you enjoy (take a walk with headphones, get together with some friends without the kids, go get a coffee and take a book with you, etc.) I always tell my husband that it's not that I want time for myself per say I just need time away from my kids. 20 hours a day/5 days a week and 24 hours a day during the weekends is tough enough! 

Hang in there and find something for yourself. If you feel like life is leaving you behind find some way to get involved (church groups, libraries, local theater, charity organizations all need volunteers). Best of luck to you. 

erikadi
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I don't know enough about what you are going through to label you as having post partum depression, but it does happen that you get isolated from others. I think that is why scheduling play dates or having time with friends and family is so important. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)