Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Baby Talk!

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM
  • 10 Replies

How do you all feel about baby talk? I know some people think it will mess up your childs speach and confuse them on how to pronounce words correctly, what do you think? My sons father, his mom always speaks baby talk to my son and i hate it. I am one who thinks it will hurt my childs development if its done a lot. My son is over there three times a week because his father gets him those days, so i think i should confront her about it? How would you do it if you were in my shoes? I just want my son to not be confused and not have speach issues when he is older. Plus, im his mother, its my choice right?!

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cupcake_mom
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
After a certain age it is not ok.when they start to mimic your sounds that's it no more baby talk. I would tell her flat out that she needs to stop. If she doesn't then you need to tell his father that the child will no longer be allowed over there and he needs to have his visitation somewhere else
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I'm ok with it:)

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Agree with this.

Quoting cupcake_mom:

After a certain age it is not ok.when they start to mimic your sounds that's it no more baby talk. I would tell her flat out that she needs to stop. If she doesn't then you need to tell his father that the child will no longer be allowed over there and he needs to have his visitation somewhere else

GirlBrittn3y
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Well my son is at that age were he is starting to copy what we do, so i should probably tell her this soon then. I think its going to be hard because his father only has visitation at his moms house, he lost right to take him to his sisters, and his house is not baby friendly. He is very limited. I guess she will have to listen or he will just have to come here. I dont want my son confused and thats what is most important to me. Thanks for the tip.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 15, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Baby talk has always just sort of irked me. With babies/young kids I do find myself talking higher/more animated at times. But never baby talk. I think it can confuse kids when they are first learning to talk. 

SlapItHigh
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not a fan of baby talk.  Yes, you are the mother so it should be your choice!

Junebaby18
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 1:48 AM
I have three kids and talked baby talk to each of them in the beginning. They are 18, 9 and 2 and speak really well (except the 2 year old and she's getting better). It seriously won't harm them. People will just naturally stop speaking baby talk to babies/kids.
Pammi86
by Pamela on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I baby talk my baby until they start talking...

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I am not a fan of baby talk either.  I believe it is okay in small doses. But really we should speak to them normally.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Me too. It never hurt their speech.

Quoting Pammi86:

I baby talk my baby until they start talking...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)