Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

ANYONE HAVE A "FRONT ROOM"?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have a small home with an open-style living room and kitchen. I live in a northern state. My family in the south all have living rooms; so do my Eastern relatives and also the ones in the west. My DH and all his family refers to  our living room (and theirs) as the "front room", even though ours is not in the front! I have never heard this expression anywhere else except in this state. Does anyone else use this expression? I hate it!

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
LeJane
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Lol,   nope I am from extreme North,   I thought you were referring to a mud room.  

dotsicle
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM

My grandma used to call the livingroom "parlor", but since she had an eastern accent it sounded like "pahlah", LOL! My other grandma didn't call it anything; she didn't even HAVE a living room.The "front room" was used for a bedroom. There was a fireplace in every room; it was an old farmhouse. Extended family was always staying there so the "living" was done in this huge room where there were chairs to sit in, a radio, and also a huge diningroom table.

celestegood
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Quoting ZombieChicken:

I've never heard of it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:58 AM
I did too!

Quoting LeJane:

Lol,   nope I am from extreme North,   I thought you were referring to a mud room.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gabeys_Mommy
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Nope, we having a living room & a family room. Growing up my best friends family always used that expression, I thought it was odd lol.
DanaG70
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I grew up calling the living area the "front room". Probably because my grandparents had two living area's, one was called the front room and it was right off the kitchen, the other area was where the TV was and we called it the living room.

Now I call it the living room, but calling it the front room doesn't bother me.

LeJane
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad I am not alone.......    :-)

Quoting celestegood:

I did too!

Quoting LeJane:

LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE
brannew
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Or if you're from the southside of Chicago, it's called a "Frun Troom". 

maria1613
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM
I'm from N. Minnesota and I've never heard the term
SweetMama823
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I have a "front room"/den and its in the front of the house. First thing you see on your left as you walk in. Its small. Not big enough for living room set so I'm unsure of what to put there. Its still empty btw. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN