Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Crib to Toddler bed: to do or wait?

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM
  • 15 Replies

I took my DS to the pediatrician and he told me he's at the age where he should transition from a crib to a toddler bed (he's 15 mos.)

However, he's not able to climb out of the crib bc the mattress is set to the lowest setting. I'm not so sure, the distance between the floor and his mattress is about we'll say to my knee (i'm 5'3 3/4), so it would seem like a long way down, right?

Should I transition the crib into a toddler bed or wait until he's a little older? What did you ladies do? Have you ever had this experience before?

Many thanx!

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vickiheitzler
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:05 AM
I would wait a little but still. I switched my son at 20 months because he would no longer sleep in his crib. He never climbed out but he only wanted to sleep in a bed. I decided to buy a toddler bed and since I got it he has slept through the night every night.
cupcake_mom
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM
We put my dd in the toddler bed at around 18 months. Maybe you could find a bed rail
cupcake_mom
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM
We put my dd in the toddler bed at around 18 months. Maybe you could find a bed rail
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM

My daughter waited to put my grandson in one when he was 2

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 2:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I would wait.  I waited until my daughter was able to climb out (23 months), then I bought a transition bed.  At 15 months they are not ready yet ... they are so little still.  She was in her transition bed for 2 years then I got her a regular single bed (at 4).  She had that for 5 years ... now I bought her a double bed because it was a pain in the neck everytime she had a friend sleep over. This will be the last bed she gets until she moves out of the house.

luvmybug
by Amanda on Oct. 18, 2013 at 2:13 PM
I say, the sooner the better. I put a baby gate on dd's room so she couldn't get out, and transitioned her as soon as I could. She has had sleep issues since infancy, but she does get a full night most nights. She's 9 now.
mileysmom331
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Mine is 18 months we tried not to long ago n she just doesn't like it she climbs in and out n everything she won't sleep
Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Keep your kiddo in the crib as long as possible. When they start climbing out then its time for a toddler bed. My daughter was 26 months when she climbed out of her crib. Plan on doing the same with my 13 month old when she is ready. Both my kids have cribs that convert. My oldest daughters crib converted to toddler bed to full size bed and my youngest has a mini crib that converts to a twin size.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Mine were closer to 2. I think 15 months is too young.
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Oct. 19, 2013 at 2:14 PM
My Ds who is going to be 2 yr old in about 2 month is still in a crib and he does not climb out of it he just stand up in it when he wakes up in the mornings and from his naps...I think i would wait.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)