Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Should she have to change the way she dresses?

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM
  • 50 Replies

I have a good friend who has 4 boys ranging in ages from 8 to 13. 

The other day, her 10 year old informed her that he was embarrassed to be seen with her. She thought he was joking and took it in stride until he told her WHY he was embarrassed. He told her that he hates the way she dresses and that she was trying to look like a teenager. Apparently one of his friends (an 11 yr old) said she was 'hot'. 

This woman is a good friend and the MOST amazing mother. She has a good heart and is very pretty with a great figure to match, BUT she does not dress like a teenager. Her shorts are always a modest length and the t-shirts or shirts she wears are always nice, age appropriate and tucked in. She is busty but she doesn't do anything to accentuate her breasts. She has really long legs since she is so tall, so maybe it is the amount of leg and noticeable boobs that is causing her son issues. I don't know, but she told me that she absolutely cannot consciously embarrass her kids, so she packed up all her shorts and skirts that were shorter than ankle length as well as her t-shirts and donated them to a woman's shelter. Now she only wears long Capri's, long skirts and pants. All her shirts are button down and/or loose fitting.

I understand not wanting to embarrass your kids, but she honestly wasn't dressing inappropriately at all.

Do you think she should have completely changed the way she dresses to accommodate her kids feelings?

Would you do it? 

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaidansmylife
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:08 PM
I couldnt do it, but MOST clothing gives me hives. So while I deal with them where clothes HAVE to touch me, I cant wear sleeves. Even tshirts are miserable for me because of how sensitive the skin on my arms is. I never dress to show my boobs and id die before I wore little booty shorts or tight clothing ive never had the figure for that, and even tho im no longer fat, sleeves just SUCK! If he were to tell he I would give it my best shot to always slip on a hoody or something tho.
shamroc374
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this
When my son was in middle school a couple of his friends said I was hot. He was so embarrassed and asked me not to come to his school anymore. He eventually matured and got over it. I didn't dress provocative or like a teenager. Middle school boys are full of hormones and anything with boobs is hot to them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ablessedlife
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 3:12 PM
I would have asked for more clarification. What exactly did he find "hot"? At that age maybe he liked her eyes or her hair. Obviously her son didn't ask for clarification. He just assumed it was the clothing.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:52 PM

No, not if she was dressing appropiately.

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I would not change the way I dress for anyone.

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:40 PM
5 moms liked this
Nope, I would not have gone to those lengths. My children do not dictate my wardrobe, caloric intake, or bedtime, I however DO dictate theirs.
If YOU, her friend says she doesn't dress to immodestly, then she just gave her child a whole lot of power over her.

( what normal tween and high schoo boy doesn't see a good cup size as " hot"? If anything, the son should be telling his friend he's embarrassing himself)
SlapItHigh
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I think she did the right thing.  I already dress that modestly.

celestegood
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Quoting ablessedlife:

I would have asked for more clarification. What exactly did he find "hot"? At that age maybe he liked her eyes or her hair. Obviously her son didn't ask for clarification. He just assumed it was the clothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Exactly. But asking for clarification wouldn't have helped.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I think she did the right thing.  I already dress that modestly.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Nope I am a grown woman!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)