Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

When and how to tell the truth about Santa?

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 11 Replies

Dun. Dun. Dun.... Yes I am asking the question just want some advice on my personally situation.  Let me give you some background:

So last christmas "Santa" got my oldest daughter her very first Barbie Doll House which she had been asking for since the year before that.  Well the doll house got broken like some toys do when little girls play with them...  Well flash forward to a couple of weeks ago when we were walking around Target.  My oldest sees the New Barbie Doll House and after running over to it and checking out she makes some comment of " I'm gonna ask Santa for that" well as hearing this I know 1.  We can't afford it (we moved to Hawaii in July we are still getting settled in and in December we maybe looking at other rental houses cause our lease ends in January) 2. My family/His family can't buy it the shipping of it isn't worth it

So I say to her "Well honey, we'll see Santa might not be able to bring you that doll house this year" and she goes "He brought me one last year in Texas why would Hawaii be any different" and of course I didn't have an answer so I just had to repeat myself "Well we'll see"

This isn't the first time she has questioned things about the Great Jolly one and I feel bad fibbing to her cause  then she believes me and I'm really big on not lying so I already feel bad about it.  And knowing that we aren't going to be able to get that doll house I know it might be time to talk to her about the truth but is it to early???  She's 8 now going to be 9 in May but she's pretty smart and understands a lot more then I did at 8.  My biggest fear is that she'll ruin Christmas for her 6 year old sister if we tell her the truth.... Ugh I'm so conflicted....

by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:55 PM
2 moms liked this

blank stare What do you mean the truth about Santa?

My dd is 11 and I think she still believes. I don't have the heart to tell her and maybe she doesn't have the heart to tell me she knows.

MichelleMc
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

We always handled the big present from Santa, but to also don't ask for too much or thing you can get too much. Our son was raised with veggie tales & Madam Blueberry was a great one. He understood that things most everything else comes from mom & dad so that he understood. We also went over costs of things in his terms like, that would cost as much as 2 of this or 5 of that or whatever. To try to teach him about costs early. We also went with Santa is someone who gives you something that doesn't want something in return, so Santa will always exist. He still won't say there is no Santa & he is 18 ( I mean, he wouldn't really be like, dude there IS a Santa to all the Army guys LOL But I think you get what I mean ). 

I would go along the line of Many Santa has a limit for all boys & girls, Santa can't just always get everything. Mommy & daddy helps him too alot & sometimes we can't just get everything. Or that house is more than the last house in cost, try to explain & that it isn't always for sure Santa can get that amount for her?

johnny4ever
Beautiful day!
Today at 8:35 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM

My sons friend told him in 2nd grade..really pissed me off to!

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Forget the dollhouse. either way i wouldnt worry about it. You could figure out some kinda exuse. Santa can leave a note saying something like..." I sure hope you enjoy everything i have brought you. There are so many needy kids around the world etc. Something to throw her off of that doll house. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. I never got anything that i wanted growing up from santa. My parents got me some cool stuff but i never got anything I asked santa for. Never scarred me for life one bit. I believed in Santa till i was 11. I didn't care what anyone said. 11 was the age that my mom told my sisters and I that santa didnt exist

Britania
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't do Santa because we feel like magic sleighs and flying reindeer really distract from the reason we celebrate the holiday.  My kids know the truth.  My oldest is 5.  He loves Christmas.  It hasn't taken any fun out of the holiday.  He knows not to say a word to other kids who do believe in Santa.  

I'm wondering though that if you tell her now, maybe she'd be upset and tell other kids.  She might feel like she was lied to.  Not sure.  I'm curious to know how it works out though.

SlapItHigh
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Whenever to they start asking if he is real. Usually, I'll start out by responding with the question, "do you think he is real?" Which lets me know if they want to keep believing. If they persist in wanting to know, I tell the truth regardless of age.
JTE11
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I just think that you either keep it going until they start asking questions and doubting it or you just pick a time and tell them. My brother was going on 12 and was still believing it and my parents decided to tell him, and he was devastated. He told them they had ruined Christmas for him and he didn't want to participate in Christmas after that for a couple of years. I kind of wished they hadn't told him, but who knew he'd have had that reaction. I don't think anyone else on here can tell you what's best for your DD, you know her best. I kind of think she's a little young but I had it figured out by 9 so she isn't far off so maybe if you don't make up too specific of a reason, and just say "Well, it's OK to ask but just remember  kids don't always get everything they ask for." and leave Santa out of the reason maybe it will help her not be expecting it and help you not to feel like you are lying to her.

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this

My son will be 8 next month. He pretty much figured it out on his own last year. He still plays along though. We never "told him the truth" though. 

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Sorry, I vowed last year to avoid these post because they always get ugly. I'm simply going to say that no child should get everything on their list , and maybe teaching tha value of giving and love of family and whatever values your family feels Christmas is about should start being instilled. Gifts don't make the day, and the day does not produce the gifts.

Done for the year.
mommy2girls0506
by Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 1:10 AM

That's horrible but I love Johnny too!!!!!!!

Quoting johnny4ever:

My sons friend told him in 2nd grade..really pissed me off to!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)