Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you think I was in the wrong?

Posted by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM
  • 25 Replies
So here's some background info-- I was given temporary custody of my 2 nieces in June. The father just recently got out of jail and is allowed supervised visitation at any time he wants as long as I consent. The mother had the same visitation but was arrested several times during a 3 week period so her visitation was transferred to DHS. I was told by our case worked that the mother is not allowed to see the kids outside of DHS without permission from the case worker. My youngest niece is having tubes put in tomorrow. The mother contacted me today saying she was told by our case worker that she could be there for the surgery. My case worker has not called me, has not sent me a letter/email or anything else. I told the mother that until I hear from the case worker, I was not giving her specifics on what hospital/when we will be there due to the fact that I DO NOT KNOW WHETHER OR NOT THE CASE WORKER ACTUALLY AGREED TO IT. The mother informed me that the case worker was out of town. I tried to call the office, left her a message, asked for them to contact her and have her call me, basically everything I could to speak with the case worker today. I have not been able to speak with her. So I told the mother again that I was not going against what I was told on her say so. Now both of the kids parents, my brother and his girlfriend, are saying I'm being childish, going against the case worker, being selfish, and trying to exclude them from the kids lives. In my opinion, I was not doing any of those things. I'm trying to follow the rules set forth to me by DHS while trying to do what is best for the kids. So... My question is, could I have handled this differently? Or did I do the right thing? Thanks!
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sunshine2plus2
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

You did the right thing!

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I think you did the right thing too.

MichelleMc
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Totally the right thing.

Kristal_25
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Good to know, ladies! Granted, no matter what, I feel like I did the right thing and handled it the best way possible. But at least now I know others would have done the same thing in my shoes! I just hate that it's come down to immaturity like this.
splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 25, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh gosh... I'm not sure how else you could have handled it if the case worker didn't let you know! I think you did the right thing & I bet the case worker will side with you even if they did ok it. Better to err on the side of caution. 

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM

You did the right thing

Tigerlily21
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 7:47 AM
I think you did the right thing
Momof0710
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 9:26 AM

You did the right thing.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I think you're doing the right thing.  However, I would call back the office talk to a supervisor and get a straight answer just in case they are right - just so they don't have anything against you

allornone
by on Oct. 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM

If you go against the court order you will risk losing your nieces. The courts do not like this.  If you go against the order you could loose trust of the caseworker and judge and look really bad in court.  

They may hate you now but you did the right thing. You're protecting your nieces best interest. It's not about the parents. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN