Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you think I was in the wrong?

Posted by   + Show Post
So here's some background info-- I was given temporary custody of my 2 nieces in June. The father just recently got out of jail and is allowed supervised visitation at any time he wants as long as I consent. The mother had the same visitation but was arrested several times during a 3 week period so her visitation was transferred to DHS. I was told by our case worked that the mother is not allowed to see the kids outside of DHS without permission from the case worker. My youngest niece is having tubes put in tomorrow. The mother contacted me today saying she was told by our case worker that she could be there for the surgery. My case worker has not called me, has not sent me a letter/email or anything else. I told the mother that until I hear from the case worker, I was not giving her specifics on what hospital/when we will be there due to the fact that I DO NOT KNOW WHETHER OR NOT THE CASE WORKER ACTUALLY AGREED TO IT. The mother informed me that the case worker was out of town. I tried to call the office, left her a message, asked for them to contact her and have her call me, basically everything I could to speak with the case worker today. I have not been able to speak with her. So I told the mother again that I was not going against what I was told on her say so. Now both of the kids parents, my brother and his girlfriend, are saying I'm being childish, going against the case worker, being selfish, and trying to exclude them from the kids lives. In my opinion, I was not doing any of those things. I'm trying to follow the rules set forth to me by DHS while trying to do what is best for the kids. So... My question is, could I have handled this differently? Or did I do the right thing? Thanks!
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Replies (21-25):
juno1
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I think I would have handled it the same way as you did.  You are erring on the side of caution and with the children's best interests in mind...

Phylis419
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Quoting Sunshine2plus2:

You did the right thing!

want10more
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:40 AM

hey remember, if you HADN'T have handled it like you did, your neck woulda been in the noose! again, you really didn't MAKE the choice, you simply followed the rules set down for you! if you wanna do the best for these kids? then you simply have to follow the guidelines set for you. you did no wrong, n i'm sorry that your family members can't/won't see that!

Quoting Kristal_25:

Good to know, ladies! Granted, no matter what, I feel like I did the right thing and handled it the best way possible. But at least now I know others would have done the same thing in my shoes! I just hate that it's come down to immaturity like this.

fudgybuddymom
by Linda on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:03 AM

You did the right thing Mama!

themomof3boys
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:33 AM
In my opinion you did the right thing
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN