Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you ever feel as if...

Posted by   + Show Post

...you are putting your family WAY before yourself? I do not mean this to be a negative, but I do believe sometimes it is. I am asking simply because lately I think I have been doing this. I have been trying to make DH and DD happy and ensuring they were ok, but I have been putting myself last. I realize this has been taking a great toll on me both physically and mentally. It is easier keeping DD well and happy. It is a little harder with DH due to our differences. Overall everything is ok, but today I changed things around a bit.

I decided to make sure DH got up and got DD from bed and did the morning duties with her while I slept in for a change. I think I am going to enforce this more often. I put dinner to cook in the crock pot and I took a nice little stroll to get my hair done. I think I will be doing this more often as well. I definitely am starting to feel better! I'm a SAHM so I think I need to get out more often with or without the family. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
celestegood
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this
My grandmother always said, "take care of yourself-nobody else will" and my mother says it to me. It's true. You have to. Nobody else will.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I think mothering is a great gift of self sacrifice. Or "self donative love" as some call it. It's a wonderful thing. But we always need balance. I can't say that I really neglect myself. I do make sure I try to get my own needs met even if they don't always come first.

Silly analogy but I think of how the flight attendants ways remind people that in the event of loss of oxygen, always put your own mask on first so that you are then able to help those around you. If we are totally run down, we can't give to out spouse and kids. We must make sure we are breathing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fudgybuddymom
by Linda on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't do much for myself either but I know it's better for my daughter when I do cause then I feel better & am a much better mom cause I'm happier. Last thing I did for myself was to buy a pair of sneakers on-line. I did get my hair cut many months ago-I went to the hairdressers on my own & it was lovely. I do dye my own hair a lovely shade of dk. brown burgundy although I wish I could just do it a burgundly color alone like Sharon Osbourne.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Your doing the right thing by taking care of your needs too.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

You will be a better mother and wife from doing this too.

precious54
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I feel this way alot

othermom
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes I feel that way. I do occasionally get time to my self

DeLaLi
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Quoting precious54:

I feel this way alot

It lasted too long that's why I finally did something.

CafeMom Tickers
la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband always makes sure I get "me" time. It makes me a better mom and wife.

Kellileanne
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM
My only time to myelf is a shower while dh takes both kids to drop off our oldest at school, the little one naps (usually an hour, rarely 2hrs max), or after both girls are in bed.
Im normally folding laundry, doing the dishes, lining up outfits for the week.
scoleman828
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I went out by myself for the first time in 5 months this past Sunday. Though, dh texted me every 10 minutes for the 4 hours I was gone and I came home to a mess in the house so it really didn't help much. I don't think I'll be doing it again anytime soon. It just made me feel like I was not able to enjoy the time and needed to rush to get home. Then, when I did get home I was just behinf on chores and had to stay up half the night to be ready for the week.. I miss adult interaction and peace & quiet but it was not worth the stress after the fact.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)