Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Kids and Santa

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM
  • 35 Replies

How old where you kids when they started truly wondering if Santa was real or not? 

My almost 5 yr old heard at school that and I quote "Santa is not real, mommies make him up to make us be nice"

HAHA i about chocked on my drink but still... i was so adamant about Santa being real and i don't want him to get mad at me if he figures out its a lie... lol 

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Proud2bamomma
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM

My 9 year old says santa isnt real, but i havent given her an explanation, so i think she thinks something is up, but shes isnt sure. My 5 year old still believes though.

momtodab
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM
I want them to believe at least for a few years. I wamt them to enjoy it. I started to tell him those kids parents don't know what their talking about but I knew that'd go badly. Ha ha. It just threw me for a loop. I thought for sure I had at least 3-4 more years before I had to attend to those type questions.

Quoting Proud2bamomma:

My 9 year old says santa isnt real, but i havent given her an explanation, so i think she thinks something is up, but shes isnt sure. My 5 year old still believes though.

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM

My dd is 11 and has been questioning for years. To be honest, I have no idea if she still believes. She's sweet and she might not want to hurt my feelings by telling me she knows lol.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I think my daughter was about 5 or 6 when she realized he wasn't real. She wasn't too mad about it.

momtodab
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM
He keeps asking me questions. This has been going on about a week. And to make matters worse we watched "rise of the guardians" and "polar express" and those movies have two very very different Santa's and he wants to know why. Lol sometimes he is way to smart lol. I don't have time to answer the question ha ha

Quoting MistressMinerva:

I think my daughter was about 5 or 6 when she realized he wasn't real. She wasn't too mad about it.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Oct. 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM

My sons Friend told him there was no Santa!Boo!

2004MAMA715
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM
My oldest is eight and I'm pretty sure he knows. He's been asking questions for a couple years. I want to tell him, but haven't for a few reasons. I don't want him to tell his brother, I want him to not grow up so fast and I have no idea how to tell him. His brother just lost his first tooth and my oldest almost caught me. I was disappointed when he didn't. It would have been so much easier to explain.
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this

We do Elf on the Shelf and my son plays along with it. Some days I think he thinks he is real and other days I think he knows he doesn't exist..lol

mom2the.rescue
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:44 AM

When mine started questioning, I told them there's something magical about the whole night and it would be a sad day when they thought Santa wasn't planning for Christmas all year long.  My boys don't believe and it's probably been since they were about 7...they're 12 & 10 now.  

My dd is 5, and once in a while the boys slip up and say something around her and I shoot them that mom evil eye.  I've asked them to not take away her magical years and reminded them how Christmas morning used to feel to them.  She believes, but I see a puzzled expression when movies say things, like "How can you not believe?"...those movies put that thought into the little ones' heads.  

And as far as the Santas looking different, couldn't the answer be because no one's awake when he comes so we're not sure what he looks like anymore?

momtodab
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Thats a good answer. I may just use that when he brings it up again. And i agree i want them to have a few magical years and to enjoy it. My dd thinks moms and dad dont even buy presents she says there all from Santa haha

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

When mine started questioning, I told them there's something magical about the whole night and it would be a sad day when they thought Santa wasn't planning for Christmas all year long.  My boys don't believe and it's probably been since they were about 7...they're 12 & 10 now.  

My dd is 5, and once in a while the boys slip up and say something around her and I shoot them that mom evil eye.  I've asked them to not take away her magical years and reminded them how Christmas morning used to feel to them.  She believes, but I see a puzzled expression when movies say things, like "How can you not believe?"...those movies put that thought into the little ones' heads.  

And as far as the Santas looking different, couldn't the answer be because no one's awake when he comes so we're not sure what he looks like anymore?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)