Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Five or six year age difference

Posted by   + Show Post
Honestly, what are the pros of having children five or six years apart?
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Replies (11-17):
MichelleMc
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I can't say. There is 9 years between me & my next sibling. It was horrible. Thankfully my mom never made him her built in babysitter so he wasn't resentful towards me or anything. But, We just never really were close as adults. I mean, he was in High School, when I was in Kinder. After he graduated, he left for the Navy. I was always the baby & it became an issue as we got older. We were "okay" but as we got older, he never got over that I was "too young" for everything. Though I was on my own at 17, married & had a child ( he didn't get married or had kids ) and we were supporting ourselves. But it was always like I never grew up. My other brother is 12 years older & he always hated that I was born. Still to this day. So...

I had an only, so can't speak from my own either. I think whatever works. 

erikadi
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I think as far as age difference it doesn't really matter as long as your kids personalities and interests compliment each other. I also think that siblings for the most part have a love for each other despite the age difference. As kids get older and when they are adults the age difference does not mean as much .

DeLaLi
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Quoting erikadi:

I think as far as age difference it doesn't really matter as long as your kids personalities and interests compliment each other. I also think that siblings for the most part have a love for each other despite the age difference. As kids get older and when they are adults the age difference does not mean as much .

Yea, you're right. I was just thinking of this actually.

CafeMom Tickers
splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:23 PM

It can be really hard. But, honestly I love the gap. My daughter turned 3 last month and I'm due in January. I'm a bit nervous since she is still in the wild child toddler phase! 

I think there are positives and negatives no matter what the age gap.

Quoting DeLaLi:

That's something I thought about too; going through another period of not being able to do things with a baby/young toddler.

Quoting splatz:

My kids are 2 months shy of 5 years apart. Its really great but can also be really hard too. I felt like I was able to enjoy all of the baby/toddler stage with my son before I had to focus on a new baby. He was so great with her when she was born. He was always my little helper. But, now that dd is 3 they mostly just fight lol. It was hard when dd was first born because ds didn't understand why we couldn't do a lot of things like go to Six Flags, movies, etc. 

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure...mine came at different intervals....hope things work out for you...

KW1280
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Try 17 years apart
DeLaLi
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Quoting splatz:

It can be really hard. But, honestly I love the gap. My daughter turned 3 last month and I'm due in January. I'm a bit nervous since she is still in the wild child toddler phase! 

I think there are positives and negatives no matter what the age gap.

Quoting DeLaLi:

That's something I thought about too; going through another period of not being able to do things with a baby/young toddler.

Quoting splatz:

My kids are 2 months shy of 5 years apart. Its really great but can also be really hard too. I felt like I was able to enjoy all of the baby/toddler stage with my son before I had to focus on a new baby. He was so great with her when she was born. He was always my little helper. But, now that dd is 3 they mostly just fight lol. It was hard when dd was first born because ds didn't understand why we couldn't do a lot of things like go to Six Flags, movies, etc. 

Aw, congrats and gl! I'm sure you guys will find a way to go about things that best suits your family :-)

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)