Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The 6 Friends Every Mom Needs

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 8 Replies

The 6 Friends Every Mom Needs

by Mary Fischer

friends chatting

You can read dozens of baby and child care books telling you what to expect from A to Z as a new parent. But during the first few years of your child's life -- nothing will help you get through the challenges and milestones like having a few good friends you can rely on.

Motherhood is all sorts of beautiful and rewarding -- but it can also be very isolating. Sometimes you don't really remember who you were before you acquired the "Mommy" label.

And that's why it's essential to have good friends you can turn to who will come in and save the day when you're having one of those "what the hell happened to my life" kinda moments.

More from The Stir:  6 Easy Ways to Make Mom Friends

And even though not all of our friends will understand certain situations we're going through for various reasons, that's actually a good thing. Different friends serve different purposes for helping us navigate this new phase of our lives -- and each one of them is just as important as the next.

Here are six types of friends every mom needs, whether she realizes it or not.

1. The childless friend -- This is the person you can turn to when you want to let loose and have a little fun while talking about something other than your child and whether or not he/she slept well the night before. Drink a little wine. Enjoy a delicious meal. Or go out on the town and dance the night away. When you want a night off from being mom, she's your girl. She makes you feel like ... you.
  2. The old friend -- She knows you better than you know yourself, and she's known you for most of your adult life (if not longer). She's been with you every step of the way from the time before you had kids through your pregnancy. Now that you're a parent, you don't have to sugarcoat anything for her. When you need to vent and want someone who will listen without judgment -- turn to your old standby.
  3. The experienced friend -- When trying to figure out the whole mom thing, there's no better person to ask for advice than someone who has already been through it. Whether it's a question about potty training, ditching the pacifier, or getting rid of your child's morning nap -- the mom who has already done those things will have some great suggestions to help you out.
  4. The mom who parents just like you -- We all tend to gravitate toward a certain style of mothering, whether it be attachment parenting, fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants parenting, or something in between. Find a mom who does things your way, and the two of you can lean on each other for support. Sometimes talking to someone who is going through the same things and wants to handle challenges the same way you do is a huge source of comfort.
  5. The mom who parents nothing like you -- Sure, she may drive you crazy from time to time and you won't always agree with her methods. But there is much to be learned from this mom -- like how to step out of your comfort zone and think outside of the box once in a while.
  6. The newbie -- Ahh, yes. The mom who just had a baby who thinks of you as her experienced friend (see number three) will remind you that you're doing a pretty great job so maybe you won't be so hard on yourself all of the time. If nothing else, she'll remind you to take deep breaths, give yourself a little more credit, and to keep the "this too shall pass" mantra in the front of your mind at all times.

Who has been your most important friend so far as a mom?

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Oct. 31, 2013 at 10:24 AM

High School Best Friend,Amy

goddess99
by Michelle on Oct. 31, 2013 at 12:48 PM

It's sad but I have two girlfriends and neither has been there for me (or their own kids for that matter) did I just type that out loud oh well it's true. So my most important friend so far has been my husband.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I can be mostly a loner but I would say my dh and family.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Cafemom!

splatz
by Sarah on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Man... I want an experienced friend! I was the first of all my friends to have kids. A lot of them still don't have any. I guess I just get to be the experienced friend to all of them! haha

My very best mommy friend has a daughter 6 months younger than my oldest. Our parenting styles are really similar but there are some big differences too. So I don't think she really falls into any of those categories. Don't know what I would do without her though!

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I can say that I have one of each in my life.  The childless friend however has NO CLUE what our life as parents is like, they are so delusional !!!

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 2:01 PM
I have some of all the above.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teachergirl
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Wishing I had even one of these. I have acquaintances but no close friends. (Mainly my doing. I'm a very guarded person and don't open up to people easily. I have been burnt pretty badly by "friends")
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)