Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Last night on Halloween

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 14 Replies

Poll

Question: What did you do this Halloween?

Options:

Stay home

Stay home while the kids went out trick-or-treating

Had Halloween as a family

HAD A HALLOWEEN PARTY WITH ALL THE TRICK-OR-TREATERS' PARENTS!! WHOOO!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

While the kids were out trick-or-treating (next year the oldest will be eight and old enough to not go with a parent) with my husband, I found out the Charlie Brown Halloween special was on ABC and a wave of nostalgia hit me. Just a warning for you: if the special takes up only a half-hour, the show is heavily edited for more commercials. But if the special lasts for one hour, You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown airs after it, and the first special is intact.vanda

I sat there like a little girl again, with no kids, just enjoying myself. The problem was, my viewing experience was partially ruined by Foffie and Sammy, our dogs. They wouldn't shut up because Snoopy was on the screen. I couldn't do anything about the fact that Snoopy was a dog but close them out and deal with it.

It came to the part where Schroeder was playing piano and Snoopy was howling along, and the barking outside reached its peak. Then they began scratching on the door obnoxiously.

The door was intact when I let them back in. Thank God.

When the kids came back from trick-or-treating, I decided to show the kids how politically correct the world has become with the King of the Hill episode "Hilloween," something I wouldn't normally let them watch, but that Herman and I love. It was hilarious, with all the stories on how Halloween is "satanic," and how all the costumes were stuff like Elmo and Aladdin.

Sadly, this isn't too far from what Halloween today. It's getting more and more difficult to find "real" Halloween costumes, because religious groups and cults nitpick through every costume and find something "wrong" with them. Even the mildest "scary" costume, a white sheet ghost, is criticized.

These same religious groups are brainwashing our children into thinking that Halloween is the holiday of Satan, and other nonsense.

Peggy Hill is a saint. A saint. Her speech to that woman, about how you can be religious and go to church, and still celebrate Halloween, nearly made me cry. Halloween is a perfectly fine holiday. Witches and ghosts are make-believe in my book. I refuse to listen to the religious bull being told to children around the world. And although I frown at some of the things depicted as "typical Halloween fun" in this episode, like vandalism, there is nothing wrong with haunted houses, and dressing up scary to go get candy.

Speaking of getting candy, my kids will never be too old to go trick-or-treating. That "12 and under" law that most families go by has not made it to Congress yet, so until it does, my kids can trick-or-treat until they're elderly hags.

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I went out with my dd trick or treating. She's 11. My dh stayed home and passed out candy until we got back.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Nov. 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM

It was raining here. After work we went to my moms and had pizza then took the kids out for about 20 mins while the rain stopped.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Nov. 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Stayed home and passed out candy.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I love King of the Hill!

kristinas8
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 7:57 PM

My 13 yr old son took out my almost 4 yr old, my 9 yr old went with her best friend, my 16 yr old passed out candy and I was taking care or my 1 yr old granddaughter, who was very cranky cutting teeth.

Raeann11
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Took care of a sick hubby. He had a tooth pulled and got sick from that stuff they used to numb his mouth. Went to my 6 year olds party at her school. I am the home room parent and planned it out. It was a bunch of fun. Took my girls trick-or-treating with a friend and her kids for 2.5 hours.

cutestmom24
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 8:44 PM
I took my dd tot with a couple of my friends and there kids.
celestegood
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM
I seriously do too! And Peggy Hill is my favorite:)

Quoting johnny4ever:

I love King of the Hill!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Wow, two and a half hours? I bet you guys' kids were tired!
I hope your hubby feels better. I hate dental work.

Quoting Raeann11:

Took care of a sick hubby. He had a tooth pulled and got sick from that stuff they used to numb his mouth. Went to my 6 year olds party at her school. I am the home room parent and planned it out. It was a bunch of fun. Took my girls trick-or-treating with a friend and her kids for 2.5 hours.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 10:09 PM
I took the kids tot at the trunk or treat, and they wanted to tot at houses, so we went toting in the houses a bit down the road. We're in the country so it was a drive. They had tons of fun:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN