Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Just For Fun: 10 Things I Only Do Around the House When Company Comes Over

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 15 Replies

10 Things I Only Do Around the House When Company Comes Over

by Jill Smokler 

Last week, I was innocently wasting time on Twitter when there was an unexpected knock at the door. The mailman? No. Jehovah's Witnesses? Nope. Girl Scouts? Think again.

It was a friend -- a real life friend -- popping by unexpectedly for a visit. She happened to be in the neighborhood and thought she'd stop by to say hello. Is that ok, she asked? Sure, I nervously laughed. Come on in. It's not that I was unhappy to see her -- not at all. It was that all I could think the whole time was "OMG, what if she needs to use the bathroom and when the hell was the last time I cleaned it?" 

Fortunately, she left pretty soon after and did not have to use the restroom during those endless 15 minutes. But the experience got me thinking about all the things I scurry to do when preparing to entertain and how it might be a good idea to start doing them on a regular basis. Things like ...

1. Put my shoes away. It makes so much more sense just to keep a pair (or seven) by the front door, doesn't it? But it doesn't make for the nicest welcome, especially the way my son's shoes smell these days.

2. Stock the fridge. Somehow I do manage to feed my family, but if you come by unexpectedly and want anything to drink other than 1% milk or tap water, you'll be shit out of luck. Maybe there's a rogue juice box ... somewhere.

3. Light a candle. The smell of vanilla sticks or lavender fields is so much more pleasant than the combination of dog, kids, and whatever I cooked last. 

4. Make the bed. I mean, really, what's the point? The sheets just get messed up the next night anyway.

5. Wipe down the counters. Because that sticky substance just somehow feels like home.

6Put my pills away. Not everyone needs my pack of birth control pills staring them back from smack dab in the middle of the table. Except me. I really, really need that reminder.

7. Shut the nightstand drawers. Because whatever's in there should never see the light of day.

8. Put the clean laundry away ... or at least hide it. Who needs a dresser anyway when you can just pull everything you need off the couch? Oh, I'm sorry ... you wanted to sit there?

9. Shower.do shower daily ... I just usually do it at night, which means if you come by at 3 p.m., there's a mighty good chance I'll be wearing what I have been in since yesterday.

10. Clean the bathroom. With all of the games my boys like to play, I can't for the life of me understand why "Pee IN the Toilet" has never taken off. It's like darts, but with urine! Why aren't they up for the challenge?

So, did I learn my lesson and scrub the toilets after my friend left? Of course not; I had things to do on Twitter. Besides, who wants to encourage unexpected visitors, anyway? Definitely not me.

What things do you ONLY do when you have company coming over?

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

This whole thing was a riot. But the Jehovah's Witness might be at the door cracked me up because I am one....lol.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:28 PM

My house is clean 90% off the time...I am gonna say clean the porch since that is where our front door is

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Probably only thing I would have to do is make the beds.

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I think the only thing I do when I know company is coming is deep clean the bathroom and put pots and pans away or hide them in the oven if they are dirty.

splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I just try to hide the clutter. I frantically run around making sure all the toys are picked up too. 

JTE11
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I usually keep my house reasonably clean so an unexpected visit doesn't send me into a tizzy, but most days I myself am not particularly presentable, I don't get dressed in the best clothes just to sit around my own house. I usually have 'comfy clothes' on, which may or may not have a hole in the knee, and usually don't do something more with the hair than a ponytail, and I don't wear makeup. So I think I'd have to pull ME together more than the house, actually.

Jensep
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM

The shoes by the doer, definitely...

my bathroom stays fairly clean, but of course when people stop by, there's tooth paste all over the sink, clothes all over the floor!

We have baskets on the stairs, I fill them up through out the day, they tend to get full pretty fast, and that can make my staircase look cluttered!

caligirl7613
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this
i dont answer the door unless you called first...period. i dont care if its my mother, jesus, the pope or my best friend from 2nd grade...i dont care if you can SEE me sitting on my couch ignoring you. you dont call, i will ignore you. and everyone who knows me, knows this about me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katfeemom
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 10:35 PM

For the most part, we keep the house pretty clean, clutter picked up, laundry put up...

But if it's not, and If I have enough time, I'll do a 'quick through'...

If I don't have the time to do a 'quick through' ... I plug the vacuum in by the door... I wet a rag with cleaner or bleach and leave it out... Put the hair in a pony tail... and I answer the door and I say.....

"Gosh! you really caught me at a bad time!  I was just getting ready to do some extensive cleaning"

OR.....

Light some candles, or spray air freshener, un screw every other bulb in the living room (mood lighting, anyone?) and let it happen....

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I didn't have a curtain at my front door till this year.Nice to not have anybody looking in!Then again in the summer I have a neighbor who yells in my window to say hello!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN