Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just For Fun: 10 Things I Only Do Around the House When Company Comes Over

10 Things I Only Do Around the House When Company Comes Over

by Jill Smokler 

Last week, I was innocently wasting time on Twitter when there was an unexpected knock at the door. The mailman? No. Jehovah's Witnesses? Nope. Girl Scouts? Think again.

It was a friend -- a real life friend -- popping by unexpectedly for a visit. She happened to be in the neighborhood and thought she'd stop by to say hello. Is that ok, she asked? Sure, I nervously laughed. Come on in. It's not that I was unhappy to see her -- not at all. It was that all I could think the whole time was "OMG, what if she needs to use the bathroom and when the hell was the last time I cleaned it?" 

Fortunately, she left pretty soon after and did not have to use the restroom during those endless 15 minutes. But the experience got me thinking about all the things I scurry to do when preparing to entertain and how it might be a good idea to start doing them on a regular basis. Things like ...

1. Put my shoes away. It makes so much more sense just to keep a pair (or seven) by the front door, doesn't it? But it doesn't make for the nicest welcome, especially the way my son's shoes smell these days.

2. Stock the fridge. Somehow I do manage to feed my family, but if you come by unexpectedly and want anything to drink other than 1% milk or tap water, you'll be shit out of luck. Maybe there's a rogue juice box ... somewhere.

3. Light a candle. The smell of vanilla sticks or lavender fields is so much more pleasant than the combination of dog, kids, and whatever I cooked last. 

4. Make the bed. I mean, really, what's the point? The sheets just get messed up the next night anyway.

5. Wipe down the counters. Because that sticky substance just somehow feels like home.

6Put my pills away. Not everyone needs my pack of birth control pills staring them back from smack dab in the middle of the table. Except me. I really, really need that reminder.

7. Shut the nightstand drawers. Because whatever's in there should never see the light of day.

8. Put the clean laundry away ... or at least hide it. Who needs a dresser anyway when you can just pull everything you need off the couch? Oh, I'm sorry ... you wanted to sit there?

9. Shower.do shower daily ... I just usually do it at night, which means if you come by at 3 p.m., there's a mighty good chance I'll be wearing what I have been in since yesterday.

10. Clean the bathroom. With all of the games my boys like to play, I can't for the life of me understand why "Pee IN the Toilet" has never taken off. It's like darts, but with urine! Why aren't they up for the challenge?

So, did I learn my lesson and scrub the toilets after my friend left? Of course not; I had things to do on Twitter. Besides, who wants to encourage unexpected visitors, anyway? Definitely not me.

What things do you ONLY do when you have company coming over?

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Replies (11-15):
MaineMammax2
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I have a fear that unexpected people will show up so I tidy up daily as if someone might pop in. I make sure the entry way has an uncluttered pathway, the kitchen table and counters are cleaned, the toys in the living room are picked up and the floor vacuumed, the dining room table is clear and the floor swept and I wipe the bathroom sink and toilet down and sweep the floor in there. I don't care about the bedrooms because i just close the doors if someone comes over.

celestegood
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this
lol too funny!

Quoting Janet:

This whole thing was a riot. But the Jehovah's Witness might be at the door cracked me up because I am one....lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM
Hey-at least its clean!

Quoting MaineMammax2:

I have a fear that unexpected people will show up so I tidy up daily as if someone might pop in. I make sure the entry way has an uncluttered pathway, the kitchen table and counters are cleaned, the toys in the living room are picked up and the floor vacuumed, the dining room table is clear and the floor swept and I wipe the bathroom sink and toilet down and sweep the floor in there. I don't care about the bedrooms because i just close the doors if someone comes over.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 11:48 PM
I try to keep the floors uncluttered. Conters wiped down, etc....to keep company ready. Now, I do clean the bathrooms if I know someone is coming over. Even if I did that the day before. Gotta have a clean restroom. They always wanna use it if its funky lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eclaudin
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM
I clean at least to a degree everyday, so my house is pretty much always clean. May have to give the sink, mirror and back of the toilet a quick swipe, though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)