Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Are we too easily offended? **Warning possibly offensive picture**

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:18 PM
  • 122 Replies

A young woman in Michigan was fired from her job after posting a picture of her Halloween costume on social media that then went viral.

She dressed up as a Boston Marathon bombing victim. It caused an uproar and social media descended on her with all the vileness that people behind a computer screen tend to do. Here is the picture she posted. 

Was her costume in poor taste? Absolutely. 
Was it offensive? I think so.
BUT should she have been fired for it?
And are we as a society too easily offended by what others say and do?

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emt088
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM
4 moms liked this
Was she dressed like at while at her job? Absolutely it was in poor taste, but unless it was physically where she worked, I didn't see why she'd be fired over it.
mybabesrmyworld
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:27 PM
4 moms liked this

I tend not to offend easily by things but this idiot reminds me of the other idiots I saw online that thought it would be funny to dress up as Trayvon Martin for halloween.  Not sure if it is a shock value thing or they truly find it funny that people died or were injured.  In either case they are stupid and I really have no sympathy for her. The company could argue that she was in their place of business when the photo was taken, thus representing their company and they want no part of it.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:30 PM
3 moms liked this

what a twisted idiot. She needs a mental evaluation

Arwynn
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM
3 moms liked this
She looks like she is at work. Maybe not fired but sent home to change at least.
baquick
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM
It's not very tasteful.
AromaDrops33
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM
4 moms liked this
This makes me sick
KW1280
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM
3 moms liked this
It was in very poor taste. Think about it this way, if you lost your love one in the bombing, how would you feel?
TattedReader
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't get offended at all, but this crosses a line. A big line. Shes mocking a real life tragedy. What if I dressed up one of my kids as a gun wound victim. It would be outrage all the same. People like her are the examples of what's wrong with society: no respect
Skittles1988
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM
5 moms liked this
I think she was fired due to the fact that because her costume choice was in poor taste and it went viral, the company didn't want to be associated with the negative response. I know plenty of companies that have fired people for having very negative or inappropriate images of themselves online. It might not be fair at all, she could have been reprimanded, but I also understand why a company wouldn't want to be accused of supporting such a thing either, it could damage their reputation, cause them to lose customers, etc.
famiglia_bella
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I think something like this is indicative of poor decision making and discernment.  If her employer saw fit to fire her, so be it.  It's not about being offensive, it's off kilter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN