Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Family Challenges during Holidays

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hello everyone,

I'm just looking to see what other Moms are going through if you have a similar situation. My husband and I have wonderful families, very loving, supportive and just great people. BUT when it comes to holidays we can't seem to be on the same page. They don't want to be together. They very rarely get together and when they do they try to have a good time. we have a 17 month old baby boy and we want him to spend the holidays with both sides of the family but it looks like it's impossible. What's to be done? How can we deal with this and make them happy? what would you suggest? 

Thank you!

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:54 PM

are you talking about your respective families that don't care for get togethers or  your family and your In-laws can't seem to get together ??

marcela8021
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM

My family as is mom, dad uncles etc and his family - his uncle and cousin. His parents are in Europe. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:03 PM

We used to see some family on Christmas eve and some on Christmas day but for us that was alot of running around, and where we live that can also be dangerous with the weather so this year we're staying home on Christmas day anyway, people know where we live. Do what you are comfortable doing. Invite everyone to your house, if they really want to see you on Christmas, they will show up. If not, it's their loss and I wouldn't worry about it.

MichelleMc
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I actually don't like to get together because it is stressful. With my mom & dad, yes, otherwise, no. So sorry, I am not much help. We did do it when the kids were little & we lived by each other, but it was really worse than skipping it. Now the kids are all grown so happily don't have to anymore LOL

splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Why does your family not want to get together? Could you possibly get together on a smaller scale to celebrate and make your own traditions? Say invite just your parents over one night to get together, open presents, spend time with your son, etc. Then maybe one night see if his uncle & cousin would come over? 

godsgirl26
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't get together with either side because our families has way to much drama for me. I rather avoid all that crap.
Sorry I'm no help.
famiglia_bella
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:51 PM

If you are the only one with a little one, suggest they all come to you.  After I had twins, I asked that everyone come to our place so the kids could enjoy the holiday in the comfort of home and I made a bunch of desserts, everyone brought a dish, and though we had some stinky 'tudes, we played games and everyone ended up having a great time.

marcela8021
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Thank you ladies for taking the time to respond. It's so good to see that I'm not the only one dealing with this stuff :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN