Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Sahm vs. working mum!

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:37 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hey there mummas!

now I am curious as to what other mums opinions on working in the first few years of bubs life, especially working from home. I have a small home business that has the potential to perk right up, however in order to progress in my business/career I know I will have to sacrifice the time I either spend on the house, my exercise routine or with my family. None of which I feel I really want to do, I ve tried to fit in just an hour but the stress of falling behind in working out/ un kept house/ sacrisfed time with my family really impacts the whole household. I also do not want to explore day care. Mind you my daughter is only 7 months old so im not in a real hurry for my business to pick up but i would love to hear what other mothers have done or think on the issue. How have other mothers built their careers/ business after having a child? How long did it take? what sacrifices have you made? Finally what do you wish you could have done differently in reference to business and family ? 

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I went back to work after my dd was born and I really wish I hadn't done that. You miss too much and for me it wasn't worth it. If you can work from home go for it. Good luck.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I stayed home with my DD for the first year - I went back to work when she was 10 month old. And I feel good about it - I got to be there for the first "everything" when I went back into the work force, I put her in an awesome private home daycare where she florished with other children.  My DD is very social but an only child so she needed the other kids.  My carreer was critical in my life and if I didn't have that I would have been up shit's creek when I got divorced 4 years ago.  Thankfully because I was financially solid, I was able to turn around and buy myself another house on my own and keep providing for my daughter without skipping a beat.   yes sometimes it tugs at my heart that I can't be that mom who volunteers for school outings or that I can't be there to welcome her home from school everyday but something's gotta give.

splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I know you don't want to go the daycare route. But... is there a way you could send her say even 2 days a week for a few hours. Maybe someone in your family could watch her? That may take some of hte stress off of you. 

With my oldest I went back to work when he was 6 weeks. I only worked part time but that was hard enough on me. Over time it got easier. It helped that I made my schedule the opposite of his dads so he was with him when I couldn't be. 

WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I returned to work when my daughter was 9 weeks old. I get the best of both worlds. I work for the school district and I get Christmas, Spring, Summer and a few other days off during the year. I work 196 days of the year. I work from 7:30-4 every day.  I tried being a stay at home wife (before baby) and I couldn't do it. I never left the house. We move a lot because my husband in Military so I got a job for social interaction. I also like sending my daughter to daycare so she gets to socialize with other kids. I don't feel as though I have made any sacrifices. My hubby helps with the housework, cooking and taking care of baby with me. I haven't missed any of her first so far. She has always been at home with me when they happened. I always thought I would do what my mother did - she stayed at home with us until I was 5 (I am the youngest) then she returned to work but it just wasn't for me.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I had no choice but to work as I was a single parent.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Could something like this work for you?

Quoting splatz:

I know you don't want to go the daycare route. But... is there a way you could send her say even 2 days a week for a few hours. Maybe someone in your family could watch her? That may take some of hte stress off of you. 

With my oldest I went back to work when he was 6 weeks. I only worked part time but that was hard enough on me. Over time it got easier. It helped that I made my schedule the opposite of his dads so he was with him when I couldn't be. 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I've always been fortunate to not have to work.

dbush0584
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I stayed home for almost 3 years then started school and when she was 4 I started working again.  She's in Kinder now.  I don;t regret any of it.

celestegood
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:08 PM
I cant help. I have four boys, and went to work when they were a year and a half, two, and ive been at home since we got pregnant with our six year old. Good luck:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pandybear1118
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:53 PM

a teacher told me that they can tell the difference if children have sahm or working moms their behavior is different

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN