Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

At what age?

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:31 AM
  • 34 Replies

Did you start having your child wipe their own ass? My DS just turned 5 and Im still doing it. I use wipes, Ive never used tp on him yet. But they do when he's at his Dads house, and it rubbed him raw around his butt hole. :/ So I had to put cream on it a couple days and told them to please continue to use wipes over tp for now. Ive not had him try yet either bc I dont want the mess of it and I dont think he could reach it well.
How do you teach them? Do you teach them with wipes 1st or go straight for the tp? Do you teach them to do it sitting on the toilet like adults or is that too hard? Do you teach them to do it standing up? He doesnt start Kindergarten until next school yr and I want to make sure he can wipe his own butt well before then.

Any NICE advice is welcome, THANK YOU! :D

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:49 AM

We went right to tp, I believe I taught my dd to wipe sitting. My dd knew at 4 because she started preschool so I wanted her to do it herself.

BlueSparrow
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Age 3. I teach with tp. They wipe however they feel comfortable. My son it was sitting down, my daughter its standing up.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I can't remember exactly what age but at 5 my DD was already long ago wiping by herself ... because she was in Kindergarten !  The year prior she was in Pre-School and wiping herself then too.  I think I started her off on wipes then once she got the hang of it, switched to TP.

splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM

They learned to wipe with TP as soon as they were potty trained. 

They do make those flushable wipes for kids, have you looked into that? It might be a good in-betweeen. Then you don't have to deal with your kiddo accidently flushing them & breaking your toilet or throwing them away. 

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:14 AM

3 I believe.

AydensMommy1008
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Thanks ladies :)

Decemberlov
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Probably about 3...little one was trained at 18 months. I was probably still checking until about 5 though lol

AydensMommy1008
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Quoting Decemberlov:

Probably about 3...little one was trained at 18 months. I was probably still checking until about 5 though lol

Like, I guess thats the BIGGEST issue for me. He was potty trained by the time he was 2, Ive just always taken care of the wiping and never thought anything about it since Im a sahm and Ive not had to worry about him going to daycare/preschool or anything like that. He's always with me. I asked him if he's tried at his Daddys when he's over there for visitation and he told me no. So Im going to start working more on this. He WILL be wiping his booty before he starts school for sure, I just feel lost at how to get him doing it and now I feel like since he's 5 he's not going to want to do it. lol So we'll see. I just dont want him walking about with dirty rear end. :/ lol

Decemberlov
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:10 PM

lol good luck. He may not like you checking but maybe that will be the incentive for him to learn how. I would definitely reccomend letting him use flushable wipes.

Quoting AydensMommy1008:

Quoting Decemberlov:

Like, I guess thats the BIGGEST issue for me. He was potty trained by the time he was 2, Ive just always taken care of the wiping and never thought anything about it since Im a sahm and Ive not had to worry about him going to daycare/preschool or anything like that. He's always with me. I asked him if he's tried at his Daddys when he's over there for visitation and he told me no. So Im going to start working more on this. He WILL be wiping his booty before he starts school for sure, I just feel lost at how to get him doing it and now I feel like since he's 5 he's not going to want to do it. lol So we'll see. I just dont want him walking about with dirty rear end. :/ lol

AydensMommy1008
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I plan on looking into them :) ty :)

Quoting Decemberlov:

lol good luck. He may not like you checking but maybe that will be the incentive for him to learn how. I would definitely reccomend letting him use flushable wipes.

Quoting AydensMommy1008:

Quoting Decemberlov:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN