Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

WWYD: Keep them or send them back?

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM
  • 19 Replies

My sister just moved into a new home about a month ago. Before that, the house had been vacant for about 3 months. 

She said she has been getting magazine subscriptions from the previous owners for a couple of weeks. The first few she sent back (apparently they've received 5 different magazines so far) but when my BIL found out, he told her not to bother and to just keep them, 'since it has essentially been 4 months since the previous owners were there, they obviously didn't want them'.

My sister thinks it is wrong to keep them and insists on sending them back since she didnt pay for them. My BIL thinks it's no big deal.

So ladies, what would you do? Keep them or send them back?

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roo1234
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:22 PM

At some point the post office will stop accepting them.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Personally, I would send them back. Im like my sister, I didnt pay for them so they aren't mine. And honestly, sometimes magazines are not the speediest with updating address change info. I know this from personal experience. It once took almost 6 months for me to start receiving one of my magazines at my new home after submitting a change of address form to the magazine. 

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I would just keep them. Eventually there subscription will expire. I'm sure if they renew there subscription they will have to give them there new address.

acrogodess
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:24 PM
My guess is that the previous tenant got them free and so didn't care enough to forward the address
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I would contact the post office and/or the magazine companies.

Usually with those you buy a subscription and it just goes until it runs out.  They're paid for in advance, and if the previous owner didn't do a forwarding or change of address they are just out the money.

But contacting your post office should give you a better idea of what to do with them.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:37 PM

call the company and advise the previous owners have moved

Janet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM

This is a good way to handle it.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

I would contact the post office and/or the magazine companies.

Usually with those you buy a subscription and it just goes until it runs out.  They're paid for in advance, and if the previous owner didn't do a forwarding or change of address they are just out the money.

But contacting your post office should give you a better idea of what to do with them.

celestegood
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:08 PM
I would call the magazine and tell them the previous owners moved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DragonInfinity
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 5:28 PM

That happened to us. I just wrote on the cover. SEND BACK TO SENDER; DID NOT ORDER. Never got them again. Course now I have to do that again for some random maginzes we're getting that we didn't order either...........UGH

kiwiskiwi29
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree.

Quoting MistressMinerva:

I would just keep them. Eventually there subscription will expire. I'm sure if they renew there subscription they will have to give them there new address.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)