Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

13 weeks and gaining alot of water weight??

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM
  • 5 Replies

Im 13 weeks pregnant. I weighed 127 last week. I weighed myself today and I weigh 132! (this is after eating and drinking a couple hours before) I have been eating completely normally. and Im just really nervous because in my last pregnancy I started gaining tons of water weight towards the end because of pregnancy induced hypertension.  I gained 29 pounds of water weight in 3 weeks. within 3 days it came off. I just had my appointment last week, and my blood pressure was 129/79 and the nurse said thats high! from what I know about blood pressure thats fine? my normal blood pressure is 120-125/70-75 while not pregnant. I also was very nervous because it was the first time I was going in to see my baby's heartbeat. But I had no protein in my urine.(I had none with my last pregnancy, just blood pressure bad enough to get me induced at 37 weeks.) Im 18 years old, so Im pretty young. Did this happen to anyone else, and what can I do? should I be drinking more? thanks.

by on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
clairewait
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Well, if you can do it, you should just stop weighing yourself.

Seriously. Though, I'm not sure how I would have felt getting pregnant at 18. Your body is about to become an alien to you for a while. But don't worry. It goes back. :)

Don't do anything weirdly different if you already had healthy habits. Just eat healthily. (You are not eating for two. You are eating, right now, for one and a 100th.) Drink when you are thirsty. Take a pre-natal vitamin.

Your blood something like quadruples during pregnancy (or soemthing crazy like that), so you've got that added weight. And your hormones are going nuts. So you probably won't be able to predict how your body is going to respond. (Though, if you are anything like your own mother, it might be similar... my pregnancies have been.)

Just stop freaking out.

If your doc is worried about your weight gain, s/he'll probably let you know.

If you are worried, just gear up now to push through all the difficulty of breastfeeding once the baby is born. It is not easy at first. But it pretty much sucks all the weight right off.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM
It sounds strange, but drinking lots of water will keep you from retaining fluid. I deal with this even though I'm not pregnant, though it started with my first pregnancy. The days I don't drink enough, I get seriously PUFFY!
Junebaby18
by Member on Nov. 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM
The scale at the dr office and your scale are most likely not measuring you the same. You can weight yourself once a week, first thing in the morning after you have peed. If you've just ate and drank something during the day, its going to add more weight to you that isn't accurate.
iamcafemom83
by Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Do you watch your sodium intake? How much water are you drinking?
Janet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Call your doctor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)