Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Relocating from AR to Atlanta, GA! Need advice!

Posted by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:07 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hello mommies!!!! My husband is being relocated from here in Fort Smith, AR to Atlanta, GA and I'm so excited, nervous, anxious and every other emotion possible for this process! What makes me really nervous is the crime rate there whereas here is almost non existent. Lol. Can any of you give this mommy of a 1 yr old any tips or advice for this transition? Safest, cheaper, family friendly places to rent an apartment or spend a day? We are looking at Duluth and Marietta? Any others? Thank you!
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Live close to his employment.Traffic ATP is horrible on a good day. Crime is not going to be too bad in Marietta.
I live about 15 minutes south of Atlanta in Stockbridge.
Mylittlelovely
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I will have to ask him where he's going to be located exactly... I think it's more south.... But I was told northern parts are safer.... I'm horrible at driving in traffic! Lord help me! Hello anxiety!
mcginnisc
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM
I live in Henry County and crime is not bad here. It is actually better than Marietta according to Neighborhood Scout. The bad part about Atlanta is that is stretches from about Kennesaw to Macon these days. Honestly, we live south as while traffic is awful, it is not as bad as the Northside of the city.Let me know if you have any questions. I have lived in the burbs of Atlanta for 34 of my 38 years.
Kaci
by Bronze Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM
My son and dil live in Marietta. I'm south a little in Griffin about 30-40 miles away from Atlanta. I don't drive in Atlanta either but have been told to just go with the flow of traffic if I ever do.
Mylittlelovely
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:49 PM
My husband has informed me his work will be in Forest Park area. Any locations close to that you would recommend?

Quoting mcginnisc:

I live in Henry County and crime is not bad here. It is actually better than Marietta according to Neighborhood Scout. The bad part about Atlanta is that is stretches from about Kennesaw to Macon these days. Honestly, we live south as while traffic is awful, it is not as bad as the Northside of the city.Let me know if you have any questions. I have lived in the burbs of Atlanta for 34 of my 38 years.

brandie1470
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Im more concerned with the traffic I hate the traffic. I have lived in Duluth and Dawsonville. Everywhere up there is expensive to me. I loved the outlet malls though. I lived across the street from one :)
mcginnisc
by Member on Nov. 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Quoting Mylittlelovely:

My husband has informed me his work will be in Forest Park area. Any locations close to that you would recommend?

Quoting mcginnisc:

Forest Park is in Clayton County.. DO NOT move there!!! Crime is horrible in Clayton County.. Henry, Spalding, or Fayette are nice and they are close by...you could also go to Peachtree City, which is right outside Fayette County. Forest Park is just north of us actually. 

Forest Park is about 15-20 minutes south of Atlanta ( right above where I live), but Marietta and Duluth would be at least 45-60 minutes north of FP with traffic. Coming south to FP from Marietta would be horrible in the morning as that is Cobb County. Honestly, I would look around Henry or Fayette if I were you. You don't want to live on the Northside and work on the Southside of the city..( Dh agrees..I just asked him his opinion.. he made face when I said Marietta to FP. LOL)

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Mylittlelovely
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:46 PM
How is the traffic from Stockbridge to forest park?

Quoting mcginnisc:

Live close to his employment.Traffic ATP is horrible on a good day. Crime is not going to be too bad in Marietta.

I live about 15 minutes south of Atlanta in Stockbridge.

Mylittlelovely
by on Nov. 11, 2013 at 11:50 PM
What about McDonough and Stockbridge?

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting Mylittlelovely:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Forest Park is in Clayton County.. DO NOT move there!!! Crime is horrible in Clayton County.. Henry, Spalding, or Fayette are nice and they are close by...you could also go to Peachtree City, which is right outside Fayette County. Forest Park is just north of us actually. 

Forest Park is about 15-20 minutes south of Atlanta ( right above where I live), but Marietta and Duluth would be at least 45-60 minutes north of FP with traffic. Coming south to FP from Marietta would be horrible in the morning as that is Cobb County. Honestly, I would look around Henry or Fayette if I were you. You don't want to live on the Northside and work on the Southside of the city..( Dh agrees..I just asked him his opinion.. he made face when I said Marietta to FP. LOL)

Mylittlelovely
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:48 AM
My next question is who is a pediatrician you would recommend?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN