Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Booster Seat Shocker Must Read....

Posted by   + Show Post

When I find out who heads up the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, I may have to kiss him (or her!) on the mouth. The folks who deal with all things safe in the car have come out with a suggestion that many kids should remain in a booster seat until -- get this -- 12 years old!

And to that I say thank you! It's about time somebody said it!

Not so happy? Maybe you're one of those parents who just couldn't wait to get their kid out of a booster seat?

I feel you; I really do. They are a pain in the tuchas, especially when your kid is legally old enough to be sitting in the regular car seat. Unfortunately, what the state says is OK isn't always the safest thing for kids.

More From The StirPutting Your Child in a Booster Seat Too Soon Could Have Tragic Consequences

In my state, my 8-year-old is legally approved for a regular adult safety belt. But the National Highway Traffic Safety Association reserves the car's regular seat belts for "children who reach a height of 4 feet 9 inches before their eighth birthday." Guess what? My 8-year-old is nowhere near 4 feet 9 inches.

Going booster-less is legal for my kid. But it isn't necessarily safe, and moms like me face a stigma when we keep our kids in the seats.

There are judgy moms and grandparents who look at us like we're over-bearing and over-cautious. Then there are the bratty little snots who come up with gems like "My mom says I don't have to sit in a booster seat anymore. You must be a little baby!" and make you want to kick them out of the carpool.

We're treated like WE'RE the problem.

But we're not.

The problem is bad information.

A kid doesn't magically age out of a booster at age 8. It turns out car crashes are a leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 13. But the IIHS reports that kids in boosters -- the data is of kids ages 4 to 8 because those are the ages of most kids currently using them -- are 45-percent less likely to be injured in a motor vehicle crash.

Keep kids in boosters longer, and we could keep more kids alive.

To me, it's a no-brainer.

How long is your child going to be in a booster. Would they make it until 12?

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Replies (11-20):
toopicky429
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:24 AM
My 6 and 8 year old are both still in booster seats. I will probably keep them in boosters until the seatbelt fits properly. My oldest is about 4'5" now.
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:26 AM
My oldest was in a booster until a month before her 12th birthday. That was when she passed the 5-Step Test. She's 14 now.

My 9yo DD is in a hbb and will be for probably another year before she moves to a backless.

My 6yo DD is still harnessed and has plenty of room to grow.

My 19mo twins are RFing.
MommaVoo
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Depends on her hight/weight.. since I am still pregnant I have no way of knowing until then. I also think most of the issue is with front seat/airbags and even when my older kids were little I never let them into the front seat until they reached a certain height.

dizzy91
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I knew about this, and I plan on keeping my child in a booster seat till he/she is tall enough! I grew really quickly. I was 5'5" by the time I was 9. Never grew more after that, but that's not the point. I understand the height and weight recommendations, and I plan on keeping my child safe until they are the proper size to not require the booster seat.

lilbit53009
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM
3 moms liked this

according to half of cafemom i should probably still be in a booster

no i will not keep my son in a car seat until he's 12

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this
Backing out. Enjoy
othermom
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM

My kids were out when they were 8. They sit well in the seats with out them. In our car we can't ft them anyways with my youngest daughters carseat. We usually use the van though and they all sit well and keep the seat belt on right

StephanAndCoral
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:39 AM
My son was in a booster until 11.5 because he did not reach the weight requirement (8 years old and 80 pounds) but that was when he reached 4'9" so legally he could get out of the booster but now at 13 he is 5'4" and 90lbs. My DD though will be eight at the end of December and she is 80 pounds
jaytee
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM
My 5 year old is still in a five point harness. She is begging me to switch her to a booster.

My 10 year old and 12 year old aren't in boosters. Had I been more educated on the subject I wouldn't have taken them out of their boosters when I did.
crwspringer
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I think they should base it on size, not age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN