Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Booster Seat Shocker Must Read....

Posted by   + Show Post

When I find out who heads up the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, I may have to kiss him (or her!) on the mouth. The folks who deal with all things safe in the car have come out with a suggestion that many kids should remain in a booster seat until -- get this -- 12 years old!

And to that I say thank you! It's about time somebody said it!

Not so happy? Maybe you're one of those parents who just couldn't wait to get their kid out of a booster seat?

I feel you; I really do. They are a pain in the tuchas, especially when your kid is legally old enough to be sitting in the regular car seat. Unfortunately, what the state says is OK isn't always the safest thing for kids.

More From The StirPutting Your Child in a Booster Seat Too Soon Could Have Tragic Consequences

In my state, my 8-year-old is legally approved for a regular adult safety belt. But the National Highway Traffic Safety Association reserves the car's regular seat belts for "children who reach a height of 4 feet 9 inches before their eighth birthday." Guess what? My 8-year-old is nowhere near 4 feet 9 inches.

Going booster-less is legal for my kid. But it isn't necessarily safe, and moms like me face a stigma when we keep our kids in the seats.

There are judgy moms and grandparents who look at us like we're over-bearing and over-cautious. Then there are the bratty little snots who come up with gems like "My mom says I don't have to sit in a booster seat anymore. You must be a little baby!" and make you want to kick them out of the carpool.

We're treated like WE'RE the problem.

But we're not.

The problem is bad information.

A kid doesn't magically age out of a booster at age 8. It turns out car crashes are a leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 13. But the IIHS reports that kids in boosters -- the data is of kids ages 4 to 8 because those are the ages of most kids currently using them -- are 45-percent less likely to be injured in a motor vehicle crash.

Keep kids in boosters longer, and we could keep more kids alive.

To me, it's a no-brainer.

How long is your child going to be in a booster. Would they make it until 12?

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Replies (21-30):
KW1280
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Would you like to get coffee w/ me cause I am exiting stage left

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Backing out. Enjoy

ladyraven16
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM
My kids will ride in them until they don't need them but I doubt they will still need them at 12 lol. My 6yr old is already 4'2 and almost 60lbs. By 12 I'm sure he will be over 5' and 100lbs easy.
megbugsmom
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I say if your child's feet touch the floor of the vehicle, or the seat belt goes across their chest and not across their neck, get that poor kid out of a booster seat for crying out loud. Good grief.
My daughter has been out of one since she was 6 almost 7. Then again she is very tall, and her hips would not fit in the booster seats anymore she had to sit sideways... Not comfortable. A mother will know when it is time to move them out, and obvious cues too.
Kylie819
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM
My DD was boostered until 11 years 4 months. She never minded, either. She has always been small for her age.
Kylie819
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this
It is. That's why they said *many* kids need a booster until 10-12 yrs old.

A child is ready for a seat belt alone when s/he can pass the 5 step test.

Quoting crwspringer:

I think they should base it on size, not age.

megbugsmom
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:54 AM
You do know that their are many adults the size of 12 yr olds driving cars right? Should we booster seat them? Unless your children are "little" people isn't that extreme?

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

My oldest was in a booster until a month before her 12th birthday. That was when she passed the 5-Step Test. She's 14 now.

My 9yo DD is in a hbb and will be for probably another year before she moves to a backless.

My 6yo DD is still harnessed and has plenty of room to grow.

My 19mo twins are RFing.
NewInChrist
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine are 2 and 6 weeks, they're both still rf and will be until 40#. They will both be in some kind of carseat/booster for as long as possible.
moogsmom03
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM

My DD was out of a booster just before her 8th birthday. Unless the kid is really short and small, I see no reason to make them endure a booster seat that long, it's crazy. If the seatbelt fits comfortably and they wear it religiously I have no issue with my kids not using a booster seat.

mommie2madison
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

My almost 13 year old is not 4'9" yet... she hasn't used a booster seat for about 4.5 years.  

I think it's a great recommendation, and anything we can do to help keep our kids safer is fantastic.  In my personal experience though, I find more moms bashing other moms who use their own (fair) judgment rather than subscribing to every little safety advice that may exist in the world.  Like moms who bash another mom for having a glass of wine while pregnant.  Generally speaking, I think every parent should do their own research and decide what they do and don't subscribe to and raise their kids accordingly.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Quoting crwspringer:

I think they should base it on size, not age.

I actually agree with ya!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN