Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Booster Seat Shocker Must Read....

Posted by   + Show Post

When I find out who heads up the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, I may have to kiss him (or her!) on the mouth. The folks who deal with all things safe in the car have come out with a suggestion that many kids should remain in a booster seat until -- get this -- 12 years old!

And to that I say thank you! It's about time somebody said it!

Not so happy? Maybe you're one of those parents who just couldn't wait to get their kid out of a booster seat?

I feel you; I really do. They are a pain in the tuchas, especially when your kid is legally old enough to be sitting in the regular car seat. Unfortunately, what the state says is OK isn't always the safest thing for kids.

More From The StirPutting Your Child in a Booster Seat Too Soon Could Have Tragic Consequences

In my state, my 8-year-old is legally approved for a regular adult safety belt. But the National Highway Traffic Safety Association reserves the car's regular seat belts for "children who reach a height of 4 feet 9 inches before their eighth birthday." Guess what? My 8-year-old is nowhere near 4 feet 9 inches.

Going booster-less is legal for my kid. But it isn't necessarily safe, and moms like me face a stigma when we keep our kids in the seats.

There are judgy moms and grandparents who look at us like we're over-bearing and over-cautious. Then there are the bratty little snots who come up with gems like "My mom says I don't have to sit in a booster seat anymore. You must be a little baby!" and make you want to kick them out of the carpool.

We're treated like WE'RE the problem.

But we're not.

The problem is bad information.

A kid doesn't magically age out of a booster at age 8. It turns out car crashes are a leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 13. But the IIHS reports that kids in boosters -- the data is of kids ages 4 to 8 because those are the ages of most kids currently using them -- are 45-percent less likely to be injured in a motor vehicle crash.

Keep kids in boosters longer, and we could keep more kids alive.

To me, it's a no-brainer.

How long is your child going to be in a booster. Would they make it until 12?

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Replies (31-40):
Randi02
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM
My 7 year old was just moved to a high back booster a few months ago.
My 5.5 year old is harnessed.
My 3 year old is harnessed. She was just turned forward facing in August.
My 9 month old is obviously rear facing :)

They will remain in car seats for as long as possible. It's the safest thing for them and takes no extra work.
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:11 AM

My son is 10 and he is almost 5 foot already.He is very tall for his age and no he isn't in a booster anymore.I had no idea until I read this and posted the post what the laws were.

exhausted_ma
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:14 AM
I don't drink coffee, but can I tag along and grab a Dr Pepper?

Quoting KW1280:

Would you like to get coffee w/ me cause I am exiting stage left

Quoting Momofmenagerie:

Backing out. Enjoy

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Fortunately, I don't need to justify my parenting decisions to you. I will do everything I can to keep my children safe.

Quoting megbugsmom:

You do know that their are many adults the size of 12 yr olds driving cars right? Should we booster seat them? Unless your children are "little" people isn't that extreme?

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

My oldest was in a booster until a month before her 12th birthday. That was when she passed the 5-Step Test. She's 14 now.

My 9yo DD is in a hbb and will be for probably another year before she moves to a backless.

My 6yo DD is still harnessed and has plenty of room to grow.

My 19mo twins are RFing.
Ginnygurl97
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:19 AM
100% agree w you! Even just reading these few replies here, some 7yr olds are a bit past the height and weight recommendations. And some 11yr olds are not. If that became a law to stay in one til 12 and my son is over ht/wt, I'm breaking the law. I'm not talking a pound an a half an inch. I mean a few pounds and couple inches over. On the other hand, if they're 12 and still quite a bit under the ht/wt, them I'd keep them in there as long as I deem necessary. My 8 almost 9 is in one in my car still, though he's right at the line, but in his dads car(xDH) he just rides in the back seat. It's a source of constant arguing :-( but I still think it should be based on their size. That's what the manufacturers gage their carseats, by ht/wt. not by age. No child grows the exact same as others.

Quoting crwspringer:

I think they should base it on size, not age.

Retrokitty
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:28 AM
It should go by age because it's also about bone density. A 12 year olds bones are not the same as an adults. They are softer and easier to break. However, kids should also be able to sit properly.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

This is going to continue going up by age until states step up and make a height weight based law. 

My 6th grader, in middle school... just reached the point where he came out it. A month shy of 11 years old. 

My 6 yr old is still in his 5 point, my 7 yr old niece is in a HBB, although I would prefer her in a 5 point.

It is what is safest! Not what is popular. Safest means the seatbelt fits you correctly. 

Retrokitty
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM
It should go by age because although not all kids are the same in the outside their bone structure is the same. Although height does play a part in booster/seatbelts. There are other aspects where the bone structure plays a much bigger part. I will agree age isn't as big of a deal for coming out of a booster as it is going into one and forward facing but bone softness does still play a part.

Quoting Ginnygurl97:

100% agree w you! Even just reading these few replies here, some 7yr olds are a bit past the height and weight recommendations. And some 11yr olds are not. If that became a law to stay in one til 12 and my son is over ht/wt, I'm breaking the law. I'm not talking a pound an a half an inch. I mean a few pounds and couple inches over. On the other hand, if they're 12 and still quite a bit under the ht/wt, them I'd keep them in there as long as I deem necessary. My 8 almost 9 is in one in my car still, though he's right at the line, but in his dads car(xDH) he just rides in the back seat. It's a source of constant arguing :-( but I still think it should be based on their size. That's what the manufacturers gage their carseats, by ht/wt. not by age. No child grows the exact same as others.

Quoting crwspringer:

I think they should base it on size, not age.

sallymoon
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:35 AM

An adult has gone through puberty and has a stronger bone structure more able to withstand the forces of an accident even if seat belt placement is not ideal.  The same is not true of a pre-pubescent child.  That is why it is NOT extreme to booster a short 12 year old but completely unnecessary to booster a 4'8" adult.

Quoting megbugsmom:

You do know that their are many adults the size of 12 yr olds driving cars right? Should we booster seat them? Unless your children are "little" people isn't that extreme?

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

My oldest was in a booster until a month before her 12th birthday. That was when she passed the 5-Step Test. She's 14 now.

My 9yo DD is in a hbb and will be for probably another year before she moves to a backless.

My 6yo DD is still harnessed and has plenty of room to grow.

My 19mo twins are RFing.

Child Passenger Safety Technician

ATG499
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM
DS will be in a booster until he passes the Five Step Test. He is still in a harness full-time at 4-1/2 years old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sallymoon
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

My boy is super short for his age and likely to not fit properly in just the seat belt until he is 12, maybe close to 13.  He won't go booster-less until he passes the 5 step test.  He is still rear facing in our main car at 5y8m and will likely remain harnessed until he is 9.

Child Passenger Safety Technician

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)