Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Booster Seat Shocker Must Read....

Posted by   + Show Post

When I find out who heads up the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, I may have to kiss him (or her!) on the mouth. The folks who deal with all things safe in the car have come out with a suggestion that many kids should remain in a booster seat until -- get this -- 12 years old!

And to that I say thank you! It's about time somebody said it!

Not so happy? Maybe you're one of those parents who just couldn't wait to get their kid out of a booster seat?

I feel you; I really do. They are a pain in the tuchas, especially when your kid is legally old enough to be sitting in the regular car seat. Unfortunately, what the state says is OK isn't always the safest thing for kids.

More From The StirPutting Your Child in a Booster Seat Too Soon Could Have Tragic Consequences

In my state, my 8-year-old is legally approved for a regular adult safety belt. But the National Highway Traffic Safety Association reserves the car's regular seat belts for "children who reach a height of 4 feet 9 inches before their eighth birthday." Guess what? My 8-year-old is nowhere near 4 feet 9 inches.

Going booster-less is legal for my kid. But it isn't necessarily safe, and moms like me face a stigma when we keep our kids in the seats.

There are judgy moms and grandparents who look at us like we're over-bearing and over-cautious. Then there are the bratty little snots who come up with gems like "My mom says I don't have to sit in a booster seat anymore. You must be a little baby!" and make you want to kick them out of the carpool.

We're treated like WE'RE the problem.

But we're not.

The problem is bad information.

A kid doesn't magically age out of a booster at age 8. It turns out car crashes are a leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 13. But the IIHS reports that kids in boosters -- the data is of kids ages 4 to 8 because those are the ages of most kids currently using them -- are 45-percent less likely to be injured in a motor vehicle crash.

Keep kids in boosters longer, and we could keep more kids alive.

To me, it's a no-brainer.

How long is your child going to be in a booster. Would they make it until 12?

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Replies (41-50):
Ginnygurl97
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Great point mommy, I hadn't thought of that.

Quoting Retrokitty:

It should go by age because although not all kids are the same in the outside their bone structure is the same. Although height does play a part in booster/seatbelts. There are other aspects where the bone structure plays a much bigger part. I will agree age isn't as big of a deal for coming out of a booster as it is going into one and forward facing but bone softness does still play a part.

Quoting Ginnygurl97:

100% agree w you! Even just reading these few replies here, some 7yr olds are a bit past the height and weight recommendations. And some 11yr olds are not. If that became a law to stay in one til 12 and my son is over ht/wt, I'm breaking the law. I'm not talking a pound an a half an inch. I mean a few pounds and couple inches over. On the other hand, if they're 12 and still quite a bit under the ht/wt, them I'd keep them in there as long as I deem necessary. My 8 almost 9 is in one in my car still, though he's right at the line, but in his dads car(xDH) he just rides in the back seat. It's a source of constant arguing :-( but I still think it should be based on their size. That's what the manufacturers gage their carseats, by ht/wt. not by age. No child grows the exact same as others.

Quoting crwspringer:

I think they should base it on size, not age.

MumsTheWord571
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM
My sister had a really bad accident on Saturday. My 12 yr ok niece was I. The front seat with the chair as far back as it's safe to go. She bumped her head, but not too badly. My sister had to be taken to the ER by ambulance. Mild concussion, sprained knee, crutches, bump on the head and neck/back ache she's home now.... My 10 yr old nephew, who is tiny is still in a high back booster -NOT A SCRATCH- he was sore the next day and freaked about mommy being hurt but otherwise completely fine!

My kids will max the height/weight of their seats. I don't care about age! My 2 yr old is still rfing, my 5 yr old is still in a 5 point harness.
Mom2jngnc
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Okay, I see what you are saying. 

I live in a state that says 4 yr old children can go into a booster seat. My 11 yr old at 4 yrs old was 32#, if that. 
At 8 yrs old they can go into seatbelts, at 8 yrs old he was only 50# again, if that.

That is why I feel the ages need to come out! Parents aren't thinking for themselves.  

Quoting Retrokitty:

It should go by age because it's also about bone density. A 12 year olds bones are not the same as an adults. They are softer and easier to break. However, kids should also be able to sit properly.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

This is going to continue going up by age until states step up and make a height weight based law. 

My 6th grader, in middle school... just reached the point where he came out it. A month shy of 11 years old. 

My 6 yr old is still in his 5 point, my 7 yr old niece is in a HBB, although I would prefer her in a 5 point.

It is what is safest! Not what is popular. Safest means the seatbelt fits you correctly. 

countrygirlkat
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM

My 8 year old is in a booster still but he is really short and only weighs 45 pounds.  I hope to keep him in it a few years more. 

bbyblueAK
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:08 PM
My 5 1/2yr old is in his hbb and will be for a very long time. My almost 2yr old is still rf and will be till the max of his seat.
NeonGirl9583
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:15 PM
It 12 in Ga. my ds is 7 and 100 lbs and he has to set in a booster until 12. thanks to a carseat saftly class l took or l wouldn't had knew that.
DanaG70
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:19 PM

None of my kids are in booster seats.

fatcat0908
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:20 PM
How does that factor in when dealing with a booster though seeing as how it only raises the child up higher? The restraint (the seat belt) is still the same. That few inches of covered plastic plays no part in how the seat belt functions, just the placement of it across the child's chest.

Quoting Retrokitty:

It should go by age because it's also about bone density. A 12 year olds bones are not the same as an adults. They are softer and easier to break. However, kids should also be able to sit properly.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

This is going to continue going up by age until states step up and make a height weight based law. 

My 6th grader, in middle school... just reached the point where he came out it. A month shy of 11 years old. 

My 6 yr old is still in his 5 point, my 7 yr old niece is in a HBB, although I would prefer her in a 5 point.

It is what is safest! Not what is popular. Safest means the seatbelt fits you correctly. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:22 PM

My 6 year old is 52 lbs and 51 inches, by the time he's 12, he's going to be way over the weight and height requirement, but he'll definitely stay in his until he's 9 at least (we have a high back booster).

vermontmoms
by Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Booster

My 10.5yr old/68lb/4'9" boys are still in boosters. They will be in one till close to 12. Currently they are in the Graco Connext LBB.

In my car they are switching to the Safety First Incognito booster when it is released next week (see pic). I can't wait for it to be released; it will be perfect for my boys and will last a year or so.

My boys won't ride in the front till they are 100lbs. Around 8th grade probably; height won't be an issue if they meet the weight since they are on the long and lean side.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)