Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Which is worse...sex or violence?

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM
  • 30 Replies

I am watching a morning show and they are debating which is worse for children to see in movies, sex or violence.

According to studies, since 2009 PG-13 rated movies have contained as much or more violence as R rated movies yet most nudity in movies will lead to an R rating.

Do what do you think? Do you think PG 13 movies tend to show more violence? Should violent movies have the R rating the same as nudity

If you had to choose, which do you prefer your kids NOT see, sex or violence?

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:34 AM

One host is saying that most parents prefer their child not see nudity or sex depicted in a PG 13 movie. Another host is saying that parents prefer their child not see the violence. Viewers chimed in on twitter and one comment said "Guns are worse. Nudity isn't deadly. It won't kill you or others'

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I think if it's very violent it should get an R rating. Nudity bothers me to the point if I know there is nudity in a movie, I likely won't watch it. Violence for me anyway doesn't really bother me. I don't want my dd seeing either.

cupcake_mom
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Sex. My kids aren't ready for that talk yet. Violence its just pretend to them. They are not violent at all. If they play guns they are NOT ALLOWED to shoot people unless they are imaginary people. They do NOT shoot each other. So i don't really have a problem with them being affected by violence
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

nudity and sex are 2 different things ... nudity is a part of life and, hell from what DD tells me apparently her step-mother sometimes takes her shower while DD is in the tub ; which I'm seriously not down with but it's already happened and there's nothing I can do about it.  Sex however, it's more touchy I find that the reality and what they depict in movies are two very different things and make kids grow up with un-realistic views.  Violence I guess is the lesser of 2 evils but then again it depends on what type of violence ... ugh ! 

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM

It IS a thought provoker isn't it. I am sitting here doing the same as you and going back in forth in my mind wondering which is the lessor of the two.
I wonder if the people who assign movie ratings are even parents..lol

Quoting Jinxed8:

nudity and sex are 2 different things ... nudity is a part of life and, hell from what DD tells me apparently her step-mother sometimes takes her shower while DD is in the tub ; which I'm seriously not down with but it's already happened and there's nothing I can do about it.  Sex however, it's more touchy I find that the reality and what they depict in movies are two very different things and make kids grow up with un-realistic views.  Violence I guess is the lesser of 2 evils but then again it depends on what type of violence ... ugh

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM

yup ... there's violence like The Walking dead and then there's violence like The Hills have eyes that is just pure evil gross to be gross you know ? Or violence like James Bond where people are constantly being shot and die.

Quoting Reina13:

It IS a thought provoker isn't it. I am sitting here doing the same as you and going back in forth in my mind wondering which is the lessor of the two.
I wonder if the people who assign movie ratings are even parents..lol

Quoting Jinxed8:

nudity and sex are 2 different things ... nudity is a part of life and, hell from what DD tells me apparently her step-mother sometimes takes her shower while DD is in the tub ; which I'm seriously not down with but it's already happened and there's nothing I can do about it.  Sex however, it's more touchy I find that the reality and what they depict in movies are two very different things and make kids grow up with un-realistic views.  Violence I guess is the lesser of 2 evils but then again it depends on what type of violence ... ugh

12yrmama
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Both can be very subjective. I guess violence is better if it is part of the plot. I tell my kids: if you are in THAT situation (kidnapped, attacked by bear, lost in wilderness) THEN you can do or say that.

Is sex under the covers; non-bumping and grinding? Just the hint of sex? That seems PG 13 to me, but with a parental warning. Or all over the screen this is how its done (all exposed skin)? Thats R.

Violence; blood, gore, knives, guns? Should be R. Kick someone in the crotch, punching, not much blood? PG 13

DACIA79
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I don't care about the violence as long as it superhero violence and not real life drive by violence.

Sex is a big No for me
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I just was watching a segment on GMA about this....Violence is worse

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:59 AM

That is the segment I was watching and decided to post it.

Quoting johnny4ever:

I just was watching a segment on GMA about this....Violence is worse

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)