Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How Do You Encourage Your Child to Play Independently?

Cafe AmyB
Yesterday at 11:09 AM
Giveaway: "August is Family Fun Month!" Win a $25 Gift Card! - CafeMom

Let's Play....How many words can you make out of the words:August is Family Fun MonthPlease reply with one word at a tim

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM
  • 32 Replies

Do your kids spend their playtime building things? What types of toys do they have that encourage building,creativity and independent play?

Every kid loves to play, but can us moms do more to make sure our kids get the most out of playtime? Find out more here!

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM
DD is almost 10 years old - last year for Christmas I got her an easel, acrylic paints, some dry pastels, paint brushes. My MIL also got her a scrap booking kit that has kept her busy as well as a fun way to conserve photos and souvenirs.
12yrmama
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM

My kids are 2,4, and 13. The older two took some "training" we would start a game (blocks, dolls, art) play for 10-30 minutes depending on age/mood and then have to leave (cooking dinner, check the mail, go to the bathroom) when we checked back in they usually are having fun on their own. We slowly cut back on getting the play started for them and would just suggest the games they could play. The youngest kid just started that way- a few minutes of parent playtime then let her have fun.

We do make sure there are total parent involvment games (art, board games, etc) each day. As long as they get time everyday with you then they don't mind being on their own.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Some kids will play by themselves but some won't no matter what you do. It's a lot to do with the personality of the child.

ProudMommaBear
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:59 PM
I've never had to encourage her, she has done it on her own.
johnny4ever
Having a great birthday!
Today at 4:52 PM
by Mrs. Depp on Nov. 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM

My son loves building & playing with his Lego's!!!

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:16 PM

My dd loved playing with legos when she was younger. Now she draws and sews.

lullaby572
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Imaginitive play is where its at. 

Build toy stores, houses, kitchens, malls, museums, spaceships, classrooms, grocery stores. 

Play is about reinacting experiences and relating it to what they see/real life. They are experimenting with life. Anyway, How do you encourage them to play independently? Give them the neccessary tools and they will soar. I do this for a living, feel free to message me :)

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:52 AM

drawing, Barbies, role playing, games

MichelleMc
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Sure did. It is the best thing you can do. If you do it from a young age, it comes naturally. 

mom23heathens
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I only have one at home now. Sometimes I feel like I cheated my youngest out of something. I have to older kids that were only 18 months apart and they grew up together thick as thieves until their teens. Then some kind of rift formed between them. They always had each other to play with when they were little and on rainy days when they were older and had their own friends. I had my youngest when they were 11 1/2 & 13. By the time my baby was playing they weren't intersted in her and then they were gone. So my youngest is 10 and basically living the life of an only child. She plays independantly but not like the older 2 did, and certainly none of them played the way I did. Technology has ruined something for kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)