Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How Do You Encourage Your Child to Play Independently?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do your kids spend their playtime building things? What types of toys do they have that encourage building,creativity and independent play?

Every kid loves to play, but can us moms do more to make sure our kids get the most out of playtime? Find out more here!

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Replies (11-20):
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:36 PM
1 mom liked this

What kind of role playing do your kids do? My dd likes to pretend she's a mermaid lol.

Quoting delanna6two:

drawing, Barbies, role playing, games

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I agree. I spent my childhood outside playing. Idk how many kids can say that nowadays.

Quoting mom23heathens:

I only have one at home now. Sometimes I feel like I cheated my youngest out of something. I have to older kids that were only 18 months apart and they grew up together thick as thieves until their teens. Then some kind of rift formed between them. They always had each other to play with when they were little and on rainy days when they were older and had their own friends. I had my youngest when they were 11 1/2 & 13. By the time my baby was playing they weren't intersted in her and then they were gone. So my youngest is 10 and basically living the life of an only child. She plays independantly but not like the older 2 did, and certainly none of them played the way I did. Technology has ruined something for kids.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lullaby572:

Imaginitive play is where its at. 

Build toy stores, houses, kitchens, malls, museums, spaceships, classrooms, grocery stores. 

Play is about reinacting experiences and relating it to what they see/real life. They are experimenting with life. Anyway, How do you encourage them to play independently? Give them the neccessary tools and they will soar. I do this for a living, feel free to message me :)

I think Lego's are awesome!Building & Drawing is tops for my boy!

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:54 PM

lol...she makes up all kind of games and characters....some have been a princess, dancer, dance teacher, getting ready for a show, super hero girl and more....sometimes I'll forget she's not talking to me and respond and she'll say...mama I'm in the game...lol 

Quoting goddess99:

What kind of role playing do your kids do? My dd likes to pretend she's a mermaid lol.

Quoting delanna6two:

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

lol don't bother me mom I'm playing lol Cute!!

Quoting delanna6two:

lol...she makes up all kind of games and characters....some have been a princess, dancer, dance teacher, getting ready for a show, super hero girl and more....sometimes I'll forget she's not talking to me and respond and she'll say...mama I'm in the game...lol 

Quoting goddess99:

Quoting delanna6two:

mom23heathens
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:05 PM
yes, outside from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed. I don't even think I brushed my teeth every morning I was in such a hurry to go outside. I would let my kid go out and play but there's not one single kid anywhere to be seen outside. now even when she has friends over all they do is talk about video games and at the playground after school I think they're going to play but they said they're on the equipment just talking about games.

Quoting goddess99:

I agree. I spent my childhood outside playing. Idk how many kids can say that nowadays.

Quoting mom23heathens:

I only have one at home now. Sometimes I feel like I cheated my youngest out of something. I have to older kids that were only 18 months apart and they grew up together thick as thieves until their teens. Then some kind of rift formed between them. They always had each other to play with when they were little and on rainy days when they were older and had their own friends. I had my youngest when they were 11 1/2 & 13. By the time my baby was playing they weren't intersted in her and then they were gone. So my youngest is 10 and basically living the life of an only child. She plays independantly but not like the older 2 did, and certainly none of them played the way I did. Technology has ruined something for kids.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

lol...exactly:)

Quoting goddess99:

lol don't bother me mom I'm playing lol Cute!!

Quoting delanna6two:

Quoting goddess99:

Quoting delanna6two:

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Oh I know I was all over town when I was growing up now you hardly ever see kids outside. I used to ask for sandbox toys and roller skates for Christmas and now it's ipods and xboxs.

Quoting mom23heathens:

yes, outside from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed. I don't even think I brushed my teeth every morning I was in such a hurry to go outside. I would let my kid go out and play but there's not one single kid anywhere to be seen outside. now even when she has friends over all they do is talk about video games and at the playground after school I think they're going to play but they said they're on the equipment just talking about games.

Quoting goddess99:

Quoting mom23heathens:

Flaca43
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Each of my children loved playing with others, but have also enjoyed playing by themselves. They all have great imaginations too!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:32 PM

My son will get lost in his own little world of legos. He also loves tinker toys. He has a pretty vivid imagination, so he will play for hours it seems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN