Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Do You Encourage Your Child to Play Independently?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do your kids spend their playtime building things? What types of toys do they have that encourage building,creativity and independent play?

Every kid loves to play, but can us moms do more to make sure our kids get the most out of playtime? Find out more here!

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Replies (31-32):
splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 24, 2013 at 3:44 PM

LOVE Little People! Both of my kids have adored them. They just recently changed the style of their bodies again and they look so funny to me. I like the little chunky ones. My son loved hotwheels too. He would actually use his Little People garage/ramp set for his hotwheels to race on haha. 

Thats so awesome that he still has such a great imagination! :)

Quoting MichelleMc:

Little People!! They were awesome. We have the little people almost anything, ROFL. Bus, Farm, We found like everything. If we went somewhere & he needed something to keep him busy. He would just play for hours. It was a little people & a book. Nascar hotwheels also. We were into Nascar & he had hundreds of them. He would line them up on race day & he would have ambulance, fire trucks, and all for the in the circle just like on race day. He had other hot wheels too he would play with. 

It moved to Rescue Heroes & then like WWII Army Men after that. They were like GI Joes but all WWII with scenes, vehicles, etc. He is a WWII Addict. 

His bike. He got a bike at 3. In a few months, he threw away his training wheels. We had to continue to throw away training wheels for years, LOL, when we replaced his bike, but he was on his bike every single day. Rain or shine most times & even in the winter a lot. 

I didn't allow alot of electronics. He wasn't allowed a game system until he was 8. I still stand by that age. He did get a leap pad reading book system thingy ( not sure on the name, but that is ALL it did, Put in books, and helped him read ) And some computer games that were only educational on our computer. 

His imagination is amazing. He writes stories also to this day. He is going to be taking writing & english classes in the Army to get ready for when he gets out & goes to college. 

Quoting splatz:

I know your son is grown now, but what were some of his favorite toys/activities? I remember lincoln logs & other sorts of block type things being something I really enjoyed. I feel like most toys now are all too electronic. 

Quoting MichelleMc:

Sure did. It is the best thing you can do. If you do it from a young age, it comes naturally. 

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Played with these myself as a child...loved them:)
Quoting splatz:

LOVE Little People! Both of my kids have adored them. They just recently changed the style of their bodies again and they look so funny to me. I like the little chunky ones. My son loved hotwheels too. He would actually use his Little People garage/ramp set for his hotwheels to race on haha. 

Thats so awesome that he still has such a great imagination! :)

Quoting MichelleMc:

Little People!! They were awesome. We have the little people almost anything, ROFL. Bus, Farm, We found like everything. If we went somewhere & he needed something to keep him busy. He would just play for hours. It was a little people & a book. Nascar hotwheels also. We were into Nascar & he had hundreds of them. He would line them up on race day & he would have ambulance, fire trucks, and all for the in the circle just like on race day. He had other hot wheels too he would play with. 

It moved to Rescue Heroes & then like WWII Army Men after that. They were like GI Joes but all WWII with scenes, vehicles, etc. He is a WWII Addict. 

His bike. He got a bike at 3. In a few months, he threw away his training wheels. We had to continue to throw away training wheels for years, LOL, when we replaced his bike, but he was on his bike every single day. Rain or shine most times & even in the winter a lot. 

I didn't allow alot of electronics. He wasn't allowed a game system until he was 8. I still stand by that age. He did get a leap pad reading book system thingy ( not sure on the name, but that is ALL it did, Put in books, and helped him read ) And some computer games that were only educational on our computer. 

His imagination is amazing. He writes stories also to this day. He is going to be taking writing & english classes in the Army to get ready for when he gets out & goes to college. 

Quoting splatz:

I know your son is grown now, but what were some of his favorite toys/activities? I remember lincoln logs & other sorts of block type things being something I really enjoyed. I feel like most toys now are all too electronic. 

Quoting MichelleMc:

Sure did. It is the best thing you can do. If you do it from a young age, it comes naturally. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)