Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Beware of ingrown toe nails ...

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM
  • 17 Replies

Monday night after I put DD to bed she got up and said her toe hurts I look at it, ok it's red so I put some anti-biotic cream and send her to bed.  Yesterday I come home from work and she says the pain is unbearable.  After dinner I decide to take her to my local pharmacy where you can consult with your pharmacist I thought the pharmacist will give me the right cream to put on that.  So we go & the pharmacist takes one look at it and says that it's beyond any surface medication , that she'll need oral anti-biotics ... I was shocked.  

Extremely lucky for me, next door to this pharmacy is a walk in clinic so I go and plead with the secretary to take her, she accepts and DD is officially the last patient of the day she tells me to come back in 1/2 hour so we go home, I tell DD to wash up, brush her teeth and put on her Pjs (as it was getting late and we were the last patients after all) , and we go back to the clinic.  She saw the doctor and he agrees with the pharmacist ... he prescribes a week's worth of anti-biotics + a foot soak to do 4 times a day.  Holy crap !!  in 7 days if it's not better they will have to remove a part of her toe nail (EEEWWW)  He also told me from now on not to cut her nails so short as this could be re-occuring.  After the clinic, back to the pharmacy where I had the prescription filled but since there was a line up, I left again, dropped DD off at home and prepped her first soak, left her with DH to run back to the pharmacy to pick up her meds. 

When all was said and done I had been running around for 2 1/2 hours. I did 6 trips between home and clinic / pharmacy.   I am shocked that all that was caused by a ingrown toe nail ... duly noted !! Ladies be diligent with your children's toes !!  This is a first for me, I've been cutting my DD's nails for 10 years but it only takes once.

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momoftwinkies
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM
I got them all the time when I was little. Never needed meds, but I had my toenail removed once and had half of the same nail removed a year later. It hurts!!

ar
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I remember getting them when I was little but I remember the issue being that my nail was long and embeded in the skin not too short, I remember my mom lifting the nail out and yes it hurt !!  DH thought it was nothing and to just let it go - I'm glad I went to consult with the pharmacist ... and was lucky enough to see the doctor and all ! I had no idea an ingrown nail can get that bad

Quoting Momoftwinkies:

I got them all the time when I was little. Never needed meds, but I had my toenail removed once and had half of the same nail removed a year later. It hurts!!

ar

Janet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Yes this has happened to me. I had to have surgery. It hurts! I am so careful with myself and the kids after that.

kjsaes
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM
My daughter had an infected hang nail a couple weeks ago. She had a huge nasty blister on her toe.
ProudMommaBear
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I always get them even if I don't cut my nails really short... They suck
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:25 PM

and what do you do ?  Do they ever get infected to the point of having to take meds ?

Quoting ProudMommaBear:

I always get them even if I don't cut my nails really short... They suck

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM

The thing is my daughter has weirdly shaped toe nails and if I don't keep them neatly trimmed they look gross.  Also she gets lint and stuff under her nails I mean you gotta clean that out !!! it's gross !  And my fear was that it would cause an infection or fungus if I didn't remove them ...

Quoting Janet:

Yes this has happened to me. I had to have surgery. It hurts! I am so careful with myself and the kids after that.

ProudMommaBear
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:39 PM
No I just don't touch them and let it run it's course. They just get red and sensitive.
Quoting Jinxed8:

and what do you do ?  Do they ever get infected to the point of having to take meds ?

Quoting ProudMommaBear:I always get them even if I don't cut my nails really short... They suck

ProudMommaBear
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Me too! The outer edges of my toe nails grows a million times faster than the middle and they're crooked... I have gnarly toenails plus my pinky toe nail is pointed
Quoting Jinxed8:

The thing is my daughter has weirdly shaped toe nails and if I don't keep them neatly trimmed they look gross.  Also she gets lint and stuff under her nails I mean you gotta clean that out !!! it's gross !  And my fear was that it would cause an infection or fungus if I didn't remove them ...

Quoting Janet:

Janet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 4:35 PM

You have to cut them straight across. Do not cut the corners. File them if you have to.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting Janet:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)