Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is it normal for nap time to be this way? Edit in BLUE!

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM
  • 20 Replies

My DS (3) just DOES NOT take naps.... I lay him down at 11 so that he can sleep for an hour or two, wake up, eat lunch, and play and hang out til dinner/bath time..

He literally lays in his bed screaming from 11 to 12 then I get him up to eat lunch and put him back in bed til he actually goes to sleep... which lately hasnt been til 2 or 2:30...

He is a totally different child when my SO is here... he is good and listens and he is respectful... But as soon as SO walks out the door he changes completely! 

WHAT CAN I DO?

EDIT* I understand that what I said was a smidge confusing.. He only gets one nap a day. He usually lays down at 11 and sleeps til 1 then he gets up has lunch and we play and hang out... Lately, when I lay him down at the NORMAL (for him) 11 o'clock he doesn't go to sleep... so at 12 I get him up to eat lunch then at 1 o'clock I lay him down again BECAUSE he didn't sleep earlier. It's not that he takes two naps.

Also, I tried the "quiet time" yesterday... OH MY GOSH! He decided that he wanted to lay in bed and look at his flash cards (numbers, letters, shapes, and colors).. then after about 20 minutes he came out and told me that he didn't like laying down with his flash cards so he "tried to destroy them." 

How can I get him to just relax?

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marcela8021
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I would try changing the routine. Do something completely different! He's used to what you're doing and he won't change. What does your SO do so different than you? Maybe incorporate some of that ... maybe skip  the 11 nap all together ... do something fun, lunch and then nap?! 

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

These to me are two different issues. As for the nap I would just skip the 11am nap and just do the 2pm one.

For the behavior, you two must parent differently. Pay attention to what your SO is doing or saying and try to mimic it. I'm assuming your son is with you more, sometimes moms can just be tired and a little more lenient on behaviors, the kids pick up on that and push those buttons or do things they have gotten away with before with mom. Just a thought...

sparkles9009
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:59 PM
He absolutely pushes my buttons... And he knows the exact combination of buttons to push that literally drives me nuts! And I don't think that we parent differently I just think that my son thinks that he is stronger than me... And he walks all over me... My SO thinks that maybe DS feels neglected by him...bc he works all but 2 days a week and we get his two kids every other week for a week....

Quoting goddess99:

These to me are two different issues. As for the nap I would just skip the 11am nap and just do the 2pm one.

For the behavior, you two must parent differently. Pay attention to what your SO is doing or saying and try to mimic it. I'm assuming your son is with you more, sometimes moms can just be tired and a little more lenient on behaviors, the kids pick up on that and push those buttons or do things they have gotten away with before with mom. Just a thought...

johnny4ever
Today at 5:59 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM

My son stopped taking naps at 2!

sparkles9009
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I've tried to stop doing the nap thing but if he doesn't take a nap then he's super angry and whiney by 6 and asleep by 6:30.... I can't have that happening because then he wakes up before 5am

Quoting johnny4ever:

My son stopped taking naps at 2!

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

It's tough, especially when other kids are involved. I hope you figure out what's going to work for you. Be consistent. Good luck =)

Quoting sparkles9009:

He absolutely pushes my buttons... And he knows the exact combination of buttons to push that literally drives me nuts! And I don't think that we parent differently I just think that my son thinks that he is stronger than me... And he walks all over me... My SO thinks that maybe DS feels neglected by him...bc he works all but 2 days a week and we get his two kids every other week for a week....

Quoting goddess99:

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM

With the naps...with mine sometimes they would nap...sometimes not.

momma2b2008
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
My youngest stopped taking regular naps about 6 months ago and she just turned 2 on Monday. My oldest stopped around 2. But we do have a quite time for about an hour where they color or read quietly.
sparkles9009
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM

That's a good idea... quiet time. I'll try that and see how it works... But I need to work SO in on that so there is no confusion... =) I just hate that he falls asleep so early when he doesn't take a nap...

Quoting momma2b2008:

My youngest stopped taking regular naps about 6 months ago and she just turned 2 on Monday. My oldest stopped around 2. But we do have a quite time for about an hour where they color or read quietly.

etsmom
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

My kids still nap and they are 5 and 7. Mostly they will take a nap in the afternoons after they get home from school. But when they were little, I would get them to nap after they had lunch. If they weren't napping, they could just play quietly in their rooms. Maybe try snuggling with him and reading to him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN