Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Opinions on teaching young kids sign language

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM
  • 65 Replies
My mom is driving me absolutely insane about this. So I'm asking all the mommas in this group for their opinion...

My 13 month old son can't talk yet. He can say a select few words like go, bye, no, ma ma, da da, and no. He gets upset and screams cuz she doesnt always know what he wants. When she can't figure it out fast enough he starts throughing a tantrum. My mom keeps telling me I need to teach him sign language so he can communicate better. She only plays with him/watches him for an hour a week and that just started this week. her watching him is long enough for me to go to the chiropractor. I think he is fine without learning sign language but she won't listen to me... What do ya'll think I should do?? When do little boys normally start talking?
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
Today at 5:59 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:50 PM
2 moms liked this

I think every child is different.Give it some more time!

preacherskid
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:57 PM

My YDD learned basic signs as an infant, and she and ODD know part of the asl alphabet.  YDD was nonverbal until she was close to two, but was able to communicate at daycare and with DH through sign language.  It reduced a lot of frustation, I remember my youngest brother not being able to communicate clearly and getting so angry about us not understanding him.  He didn't speak clearly until he was four.  Imo, teaching basic signs can be beneficial for any baby, regardless of where they are developmenally.  It can help them to communicate and articulate what they want, saving a lot of guessing and frustration.

ChanningsMom12
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Quoting preacherskid:

My YDD learned basic signs as an infant, and she and ODD know part of the asl alphabet.  YDD was nonverbal until she was close to two, but was able to communicate at daycare and with DH through sign language.  It reduced a lot of frustation, I remember my youngest brother not being able to communicate clearly and getting so angry about us not understanding him.  He didn't speak clearly until he was four.  Imo, teaching basic signs can be beneficial for any baby, regardless of where they are developmenally.  It can help them to communicate and articulate what they want, saving a lot of guessing and frustration.

How would I go about teaching him? I don't know any sign language other than the abc's I learned in elementary.
britmichele
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this
My son started signing at 5 months. At 5, he is still sort of nonverbal. It was important for us. Only you know if it's important for u. It only takes a few words to give him enough tools to communicate
preacherskid
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Quoting ChanningsMom12:

Quoting preacherskid:

How would I go about teaching him? I don't know any sign language other than the abc's I learned in elementary.

We had a little story book, their daycare does a lot there starting early.  I know there are a lot of flashcard kits, books, and dvds available. Here are search results from Amazon: (sorry not clicky, will try to fix that later)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Sign+language+for+babies

lullaby572
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I teach mine sign language. Started at 6 weeks. Worke wonders. I recommend Baby Steps.

http://www.unitedwayuc.org/welcomebaby/playgroups/L16%20-%20Baby%20Sign%20Language/L16.pdf

Good luck :)

ChanningsMom12
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Thank you!!!!

Quoting preacherskid:

Quoting ChanningsMom12:

Quoting preacherskid:

We had a little story book, their daycare does a lot there starting early.  I know there are a lot of flashcard kits, books, and dvds available. Here are search results from Amazon: (sorry not clicky, will try to fix that later)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Sign+language+for+babies

ChanningsMom12
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Thank you!!!

Quoting lullaby572:

I teach mine sign language. Started at 6 weeks. Worke wonders. I recommend Baby Steps.

http://www.unitedwayuc.org/welcomebaby/playgroups/L16%20-%20Baby%20Sign%20Language/L16.pdf

Good luck :)

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 15, 2013 at 8:44 PM

My dd wasn't talking at 1 and she started school then, they taught the LOs sign, they pick it up so fast and easy. What's his doctor saying about him not speaking yet? My dd's doctor is the one who got us signed up for the school.

Saurusmom8
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM
I see it as a win win to teach your child sign language. I taught my son at 3 yrs old and he still signs to me.

Its fun. It is considered another language and it can decrease the frustraion with communication.

You can get flash cards, books and even take classes if you can.

Its up to you and a personal decision but my personal take is that learning a new language is only for the good and can never harm. It does not mean your child is having something wrong.. he may just be holding languuage in. My niece never spoke until she was 2 and then she just flooded us with words..

Art and play are also tools for communication.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN