Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Are you a saver or a spender?

Posted by   + Show Post
I have been both in my past. I love to spend, but between my hubby and I, I'm the saver.
My hubby spends it as fast as he gets it. But I think ahead and always put at least something away.
What about you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Replies (61-70):
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 9:22 AM

She is. 

I don't know what they call those. I didn't think it was a church though I know what you mean. I'll ask Mom next time I talk to her. 

I think she just calls it a religious meeting. And the ones I've been to were all at someone's house, but I don't think the larger ones are. So, look for it. Maybe google will be able to find you one. 

Quoting celestegood:

I will look into a church here. That sounds awesome.
I think it's the same as grandparents noticing how much your kids have grown-they don't see them as much so they notice it more. Or maybe not. Maybe she's just good at reading him? Either way I'm happy your son gets to have another person who he is comfortable with.
She sounds like quite a person :)

Quoting Basherte:

She told me that I am the daughter that she always wanted to have. She has my hubby and that's it.

You could go to a meeting, after finding out where one is being held. They accept anyone to join, as long as they are respectful. I know that they allowed me to join in on a few meetings though I didn't believe the same. Got along with everyone. 

I know Mom has a blast when she is here,she loves spending time with us and my son. I know that it meant a lot to my son to have another person he can count on. She listens to his non verbal cues, and reads them pretty spot on too. Which makes me a little jealous, because it took me a long time to figure them out. *sigh* maybe it's because she is not here all the time and can more easily see them because of that? eh, it doesn't really matter. The most important thing is that they have a relationship and he loves her to pieces, as I know she loves him to pieces. 

I think at one point long ago I told Mom that she was a second mother to me. That while I no longer needed a mom like I did when I was young, and that I had an amazing mother growing up, that her being in my life was a blessing to me. Or something like that it was a long time ago.

I have a copy of the Liturgy of Nichiren Buddhism. Mom gave it to me. I wanted a translation of the chants. It has that in the back of the book.. er pamphlet? it's a small book that would fit in the back pocket of a pair of jeans and not really be noticeable. It's some pretty powerful stuff. 

Though I believe differently than Mom does, I respect her religion and have seen the difference her religion has made in her life, a postive change. 

She even asked us several times if she could do her prayers here while she was visiting. (As if we would say no) She was worried that her practicing her beliefs would upset us or our son in some way. I want my son to be exposed to many different kinds of religion so that when he is able to choose, he can make an informed decision on what he believes. 

Quoting celestegood:

Your post made me tear up. I called my mil mom too. I love her so much. She told me I was the daughter she never had-she had two boys. I miss her fiercly too. I'm sorry you lost your mom. That's something that makes me sad just thinking of it. My mom has health issues. I hope she lives another twenty years, but somehow, I doubt it. I make the best out of every day I do have with her, though-and someday, I know she will not be gone, but alive in our memories and in our hearts.

Love her beliefs! Nichiren Buddhism is close to what I believe. I'm working my way into it, I think.

I hope you guys have lots of fun when you do see her again! I'm so happy your son took to your mil, and I hope they have a blast :)

CafeMom Tickers
celestegood
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Will do. I admit, I have never heard of a Buddhist church. Maybe they are out there? I'll google it.
Thanks for your ideas.

Quoting Basherte:

She is. 

I don't know what they call those. I didn't think it was a church though I know what you mean. I'll ask Mom next time I talk to her. 

I think she just calls it a religious meeting. And the ones I've been to were all at someone's house, but I don't think the larger ones are. So, look for it. Maybe google will be able to find you one. 

Quoting celestegood:

I think it's the same as grandparents noticing how much your kids have grown-they don't see them as much so they notice it more. Or maybe not. Maybe she's just good at reading him? Either way I'm happy your son gets to have another person who he is comfortable with.

Quoting Basherte:

She told me that I am the daughter that she always wanted to have. She has my hubby and that's it.

You could go to a meeting, after finding out where one is being held. They accept anyone to join, as long as they are respectful. I know that they allowed me to join in on a few meetings though I didn't believe the same. Got along with everyone. 

I know Mom has a blast when she is here,she loves spending time with us and my son. I know that it meant a lot to my son to have another person he can count on. She listens to his non verbal cues, and reads them pretty spot on too. Which makes me a little jealous, because it took me a long time to figure them out. *sigh* maybe it's because she is not here all the time and can more easily see them because of that? eh, it doesn't really matter. The most important thing is that they have a relationship and he loves her to pieces, as I know she loves him to pieces. 

I think at one point long ago I told Mom that she was a second mother to me. That while I no longer needed a mom like I did when I was young, and that I had an amazing mother growing up, that her being in my life was a blessing to me. Or something like that it was a long time ago.

I have a copy of the Liturgy of Nichiren Buddhism. Mom gave it to me. I wanted a translation of the chants. It has that in the back of the book.. er pamphlet? it's a small book that would fit in the back pocket of a pair of jeans and not really be noticeable. It's some pretty powerful stuff. 

Though I believe differently than Mom does, I respect her religion and have seen the difference her religion has made in her life, a postive change. 

She even asked us several times if she could do her prayers here while she was visiting. (As if we would say no) She was worried that her practicing her beliefs would upset us or our son in some way. I want my son to be exposed to many different kinds of religion so that when he is able to choose, he can make an informed decision on what he believes. 

Quoting celestegood:

Your post made me tear up. I called my mil mom too. I love her so much. She told me I was the daughter she never had-she had two boys. I miss her fiercly too. I'm sorry you lost your mom. That's something that makes me sad just thinking of it. My mom has health issues. I hope she lives another twenty years, but somehow, I doubt it. I make the best out of every day I do have with her, though-and someday, I know she will not be gone, but alive in our memories and in our hearts.

Love her beliefs! Nichiren Buddhism is close to what I believe. I'm working my way into it, I think.

I hope you guys have lots of fun when you do see her again! I'm so happy your son took to your mil, and I hope they have a blast :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM

You're welcome. 

Doesn't hurt to get more information. I don't believe it hurts to see life from others perspectives from time to time either. I'm all for examining one's own thoughts and knowledge and beliefs when facts are presented that don't jive with what we believe to be true. I mean things that are fact and aren't just personal preference, putting religion under the personal preference, because different religions are good for different people based on their own personal beliefs.

Have a great day.

Quoting celestegood:

Will do. I admit, I have never heard of a Buddhist church. Maybe they are out there? I'll google it.
Thanks for your ideas.

Quoting Basherte:

She is. 

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting celestegood:

CafeMom Tickers
celestegood
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 9:47 AM
I agree with you 100%. And I do the same with our kids. They are encouraged to explore other beliefs.

I think you're right. There are many beliefs for many different types of people.
You have a great day as well :)
Quoting Basherte:

You're welcome. 

Doesn't hurt to get more information. I don't believe it hurts to see life from others perspectives from time to time either. I'm all for examining one's own thoughts and knowledge and beliefs when facts are presented that don't jive with what we believe to be true. I mean things that are fact and aren't just personal preference, putting religion under the personal preference, because different religions are good for different people based on their own personal beliefs.

Have a great day.

Quoting celestegood:

Thanks for your ideas.

Quoting Basherte:

She is. 

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting celestegood:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RitaTequila531
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Pssh, I WISH I was a saver :0(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reche1978
by Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM

both but more of a saver

theresaphilly
by Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM

A little of both. We set aside a certain amount of money every month to spend on whatever we want and what is leftover I will put it into our retirement account. 

celestegood
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM
I think that a lot of people are a bit of both.

Quoting theresaphilly:

A little of both. We set aside a certain amount of money every month to spend on whatever we want and what is leftover I will put it into our retirement account. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 12:53 AM
1 mom liked this
:) lol We can't all be, you know.

Quoting RitaTequila531: Pssh, I WISH I was a saver :0(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Same here!

Quoting reche1978:

both but more of a saver

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN