Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I TOLD him not to play ball in the house!

Posted by   + Show Post

How do kids seem to be able to get around the rules.

We have a long standing 'do not play ball in the house' rule. No footballs, basketballs, rubber balls from the gumball machine, beach balls, ping pong balls, nothing. It doesn't matter how big or how small, do not play ball in the house.

I was babysitting my nephew earlier today while my sister went to the doctor. He was playing in my sons room and all of sudden I hear this loud crash. I run to check it out and I see all of my sons' trophies on the floor. Some of them broken from the fall. I made sure he was okay and I asked him what happened. He said he was playing and the trophies fell off of the bookshelves. When I asked him if he was playing ball in the house and explained that the reason we don't do so is because things get broken that way, he looked at me with big brown eyes and said "Auntie I wasn't playing ball I PROMISE" I told him I was disappointed in him for not telling me the truth because I see the soccer ball on the floor and that it had been in the toy bin before. He then smiled that little smile at me and said, "Auntie that's NOT a soccer ball. It is a stuffed animal that LOOKS like a soccer ball (stuff plush soccer ball). I would NEVER throw a ball in the house, I know better"

ARGH kids and semantics. Needless to say, technically he IS right. He didn't play ball in the house, instead he played stuffed ball in the house...lol

He was so cute, I couldn't be mad. Instead the new rule is, 'we don't throw ANYTHING in the house"...lol

Do your kids wiggle their way out of rules or play the semantics game even without realizing it?

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Replies (11-16):
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:38 PM
drives me nuts too !!
Quoting Reina13:

Ugh, that is the worst. My oldest son used to do that. Drove me crazy.

Quoting Jinxed8:

no she argues a lot is more of the problem ...

Quoting Reina13:

Uh oh. That doesn't sound good. Is she playing the semantics game too?

Quoting Jinxed8:

yes and i'm at witt's end with my daughter trying to snake her way around the rules

JTE11
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Oh! What a way to split hairs about ball-playing in the house! DD (2 yrs) does this kind of stuff a lot, too. She has just been hell on the cats lately, playing rough, squeezing their necks hugging them, so one day last week I told her the new rule is no touching the cats. The poor things are spending their lives penned up in the laundry room and I wanted to let them out for an hour or so I made the rule. About 20 minutes later I see her hugging one of the cats and I went over and said "What are you doing?" and she let go of the cat and said, "But Mummy, I'm not touching her with my hands, I have my mittens on!!"  New rule: no touching the cats with ANYTHING, lol. 

Bethsunshine
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Am I the only one who read the title and started thinking of The Brady Bunch? "Mom always said, dont play ball in the house!"
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Nov. 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I thought that too!

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Am I the only one who read the title and started thinking of The Brady Bunch? "Mom always said, dont play ball in the house!"

wickedstepjenn
by Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 1:08 AM
We have had to change the rule also. Nothing at all thrown, tossed, rolled across, gently flung etc lol. Not even a hair tie or a cotton ball.
celestegood
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:27 AM
That is so cute! I can see my eleven year old pulling it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN