Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Get off the couch!!!

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM
  • 12 Replies
This isn't about a lazy dh/so, its about my dog. lol

He has been getting on the couch lately even though he knows he's not supposed to be up there. It's usually at night or when we're gone. We've lived here for almost a year now and he's just been doing this the last week or so. Sometimes we tell him to get down and he does, we leave the room and he goes right back up there. He usually sleeps on the carpet, but lately he's preferring the couch or even some piece of clothing that's left on the floor. We can't buy him a bed of his own since he destroys it and humps it.

What can I do to keep him off the couch? I've heard with cats you can use a bitter apple spray. What about for dogs?
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:42 PM

We have this problem too but my dog doesn't destroy her bed, anyway we sectioned off the living room so she can't get in there at night or when we're gone. It's not pretty or anything, we just pull out the end tables and put some boxes there. She's a bigger dog so she can't jump over the stuff.

Junebaby18
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Quoting goddess99:

We have this problem too but my dog doesn't destroy her bed, anyway we sectioned off the living room so she can't get in there at night or when we're gone. It's not pretty or anything, we just pull out the end tables and put some boxes there. She's a bigger dog so she can't jump over the stuff.

I unfortunately can't do that as my dh works nights and he wouldn't be able to get into any other part of the apt. The dog also would only have tile to sleep on, which gets pretty chilly at night.

He's a small dog, a Shih tzu, so that would work if dh didn't work nights.
goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:04 PM

What about just putting a slip cover over the couch? I don't know beyond that or putting her in a kennel overnight.

Quoting Junebaby18:

Quoting goddess99:

I unfortunately can't do that as my dh works nights and he wouldn't be able to get into any other part of the apt. The dog also would only have tile to sleep on, which gets pretty chilly at night.

LeJane
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM

We have a  fleece blanket tucked in on the bottom cushions of the couch.   Saves any wear and tear on the couch and the dogs love it.     I don't agree with isolating them.    They are "pack" animals and like to be close.     I have one on the couch leaning against my leg right now.         They like to be comfortable too.    Would you like to sit on the floor or the couch ?  

Junebaby18
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Quoting goddess99:

What about just putting a slip cover over the couch? I don't know beyond that or putting her in a kennel overnight.

Quoting Junebaby18:
Quoting goddess99:

It's not the couch, in and of itself, its just him getting up there when he's not supposed to and we have pillows up there that he keeps messing with and making all lumpy and nasty from him biting and chewing on them. I'm not going to put the pillows up just because of the dog either.
ahappymommy
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Let him be on the couch, he isnt tearing it up, just sleeping! He wants to be close to you and its cold on the floor!

ahappymommy
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM
You obviously dont like the dog, find it a new home, problem solved!
Quoting Junebaby18:

Quoting goddess99:

Quoting Junebaby18:
Quoting goddess99:

It's not the couch, in and of itself, its just him getting up there when he's not supposed to and we have pillows up there that he keeps messing with and making all lumpy and nasty from him biting and chewing on them. I'm not going to put the pillows up just because of the dog either.

Junebaby18
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Quoting ahappymommy:

Let him be on the couch, he isnt tearing it up, just sleeping! He wants to be close to you and its cold on the floor!

No! He is NOT allowed on the couch! It's not that cold on the floor and he's a freakin DOG! He will survive. There are rules that people have to follow, and the same for animals. There are dogs that stay outside all year round. Should all of those dogs be let inside too?! No.
Junebaby18
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Quoting ahappymommy:

You obviously dont like the dog, find it a new home, problem solved!

Quoting Junebaby18:
Quoting goddess99:

Quoting Junebaby18:
Quoting goddess99:

He's not my dog to get rid of. He's my dh's. He's not going anywhere.
JTE11
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:54 PM

You can get a spray called Boundary and spray it on some towels and then put the towels on the couch when you're sleeping or not at home. We use it to remind our cats not to go into certain areas when they 'forget'. It isn't something you would want to be spraying directly onto your couch because there's a faint odor but if you spray it onto say a piece of carpet or towels you then put onto the couch it should work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)