Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do if you had to do something just for you?

Posted by   + Show Post
As a mom, I tend to do things that benefit others-from my errands, to the things I buy. I do try to take care of myself, and get time alone-but if you knew you HAD to do something that was just for you, what would that be?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Replies (141-147):
want10more
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 4:12 AM

i don't get out much either. seems there's always to much to do. i do like to sew tho. sometimes i sneak a lil in before bedtime. and i like to read before sleeping too.

i USED to take long bubble baths (before kids, but immaterial) i'd take the phone offa the hook, light candles, have 2-3 glasses of wine, good book, the whole shebang. get out, wrap up in a cozy robe and read until my eyes quit. sigh...... heaven. THEN my pill of an ex told me how a snake once came up thru their drain. (MASSIVE PHOBIA THERE!) lol so no bubble baths for me now! and since i have kids now? i'd have to haev at least 3 in the bath w/ me anyway!

Quoting celestegood: I am the same way. I have long hair and do my own nails. I don't get out much. But I do take time for myself, even if that means taking a bubble bath and reading before bed.
Everyone needs a bit of time to claim as their own. No need to go anywhere to do do. Or wear fancy clothes to get it.
If you're happy that's all that matters.

Quoting want10more:

i SO 'get' mommas needing to take time. i have never felt that way. i've never needed that break. and i have 6. but you know? i don't have a hairstyle either. long hair, but no STYLE. i don't get my nails done, i do them myself. they are OK but not crazy cool. my wardrobe is fulla hand me downs, but ty GOD no mom jeans. mostly i dress fine. but not trendy or really cute. hm. maybe i should start thinking about momma time, but since i don't work, it really seems a waste of time for me. i dunno.

Quoting Basherte:

He had a scratch on his face to the right of his eye, kinda close but he didn't seem to notice it much. (unfortunately, that is typical for him).

I'm gonna send in a note and see what happens. I just hope he had a good day.

Quoting celestegood: That really is disheartening. I'm sorry. I hope they give you good news and find out they raised at least something.

Quoting Basherte:

We got nothing! I am so angry right now I could spit.

No information on how it went today, nothing. 

He's been in a good mood all day though so I'm assuming that he had a good time. 

I can't believe they didn't say anything about it. I'm going to write a note and ask how it went. they won't get it until tuesday, but I have to know.

Quoting celestegood: Aww I hope it goes well for him! Hope he loves it :)

Quoting Basherte: Oh I will write this down. I will probably have a picture from it as well. I'm so excited! I can't wait to see how he handles being with Santa claus.

Quoting celestegood: Hope he has fun meeting Santa!!! That's do sweet. Definitely write this one down. It's a cute story for when he grows up :)

Quoting Basherte:

He has said it since. But let's face it there aren't too many opportunities to say that word. *giggles* 

He was excited (like never before) to go to school yesterday and according to hubby today as well. ( I slept in, so I don't know first hand)

He gets to see Santa Claus today. The school has someone coming as Santa for the kids... twice. Once in the morning and once in the afternoon. (they do morning and afternoon classes, my son goes in the morning and is home by noon)

Quoting celestegood: Awww. Cute! I hope it was really his first word!

Quoting Basherte:

I can't wait until he is talking my ear off. Seriously. He babbles now. He isn't quiet at all. At least most of the time. He still has his moments, but he isn't verbal in that he doesn't say any actual words. Til this morning. OMG. I'm still excited, and hoping that it is what he said this morning.

Quoting celestegood:

Lol before you know it he will be talking your ear off! Only half way joking :)
Meanwhile I feel your pain. I think all moms feel like that from time to time. It gets better I swear! Lol
Quoting Basherte:

Exactly. Some weeks all I need is the two days that I get to sleep in and I'm great. Others... well.. there are times I wish I had some alcohol in the house (For me not my son)

Thankfully, those times are very few and far between. My son is amazing. He's surprising me all the time. This morning I swear he said Monsters, when I had put it in the dvd player, in between the menu screen and the actual start of the movie. There are monsters that race around the screen doing a lot of different things, among them is putting the name of the movie up. I paused. I was like "did you say what I think you just said." then I told him that was great! I'm so proud of you. Can you say it again? He did. My heart stopped for a milisecond. I'm so proud. I'm so excited. 

Quoting celestegood:

Hey every little bit counts right?

Quoting Basherte:

That won't happen any time soon though. eh.

I can take a long hot shower and paint my nails, then read a book after my son goes to sleep.

Maybe I'll schedule that for sometime this week. Schedule it with myself, and give DH a heads up on it.

Quoting celestegood:

Sounds so nice :)

Quoting Basherte:

Right now I would send my dh and ds away for the day. So that I could spend some of it cleaning the house, and some of it "pampering" myself, by taking a long hot shower, painting my nails. reading a book or watching some tv. Just relax for the rest of the time.

want10more
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 4:18 AM

ack to disappoint YOU i can't cross stitch. i have lil control over my hands. i can't hand sew either. take a 2 week vacation someday, come HERE! my  mom is batshit crazy kewl at quilting! she'd teach ya (and me at the same time!) i'd even throw in a beer here and there! lol!

have you ever had a dress form? i think i'd like to have one.... i like to jack up patterns, but i am just not very good at fittin them to myself. i thot w/ a dress form....???? i am very short, 5 ft nuttin, w a 42 inch chest, 24 in waist. so of course patterns don't FIT. but dress forms don't come like that either.

Quoting celestegood: No I can't quilt. I do cross stitching. Sorry to disappoint. I wish I could though.

Quoting want10more:

you sew! do you quilt too????????? my mom does, but i don't know how! as for my 'painting' it's not like art. it's like craft painting.

Quoting celestegood: I do the same to an extent. I try not to 100% of the time, though.

Quoting want10more:

i don't know. when i do get down time, i guess i use it for my kids. sewing, painting, etc.

want10more
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 4:56 AM

thanks bash, and no....... i screwed up somewhere. my post made no sense in the context. ty for pointing that out to me, in such a kind way. sorry i screwed up.

Quoting Basherte:

Are you sure this was meant for this post?

Quoting want10more:

i SO 'get' mommas needing to take time. i have never felt that way. i've never needed that break. and i have 6. but you know? i don't have a hairstyle either. long hair, but no STYLE. i don't get my nails done, i do them myself. they are OK but not crazy cool. my wardrobe is fulla hand me downs, but ty GOD no mom jeans. mostly i dress fine. but not trendy or really cute. hm. maybe i should start thinking about momma time, but since i don't work, it really seems a waste of time for me. i dunno.

Quoting Basherte:

He had a scratch on his face to the right of his eye, kinda close but he didn't seem to notice it much. (unfortunately, that is typical for him).

Quoting celestegood: That really is disheartening. I'm sorry. I hope they give you good news and find out they raised at least something.

Quoting Basherte:

He's been in a good mood all day though so I'm assuming that he had a good time. 

I can't believe they didn't say anything about it. I'm going to write a note and ask how it went. they won't get it until tuesday, but I have to know.

Quoting Basherte: Oh I will write this down. I will probably have a picture from it as well. I'm so excited! I can't wait to see how he handles being with Santa claus.

Quoting celestegood: Hope he has fun meeting Santa!!! That's do sweet. Definitely write this one down. It's a cute story for when he grows up :)

Quoting Basherte:

He has said it since. But let's face it there aren't too many opportunities to say that word. *giggles* 

He was excited (like never before) to go to school yesterday and according to hubby today as well. ( I slept in, so I don't know first hand)

He gets to see Santa Claus today. The school has someone coming as Santa for the kids... twice. Once in the morning and once in the afternoon. (they do morning and afternoon classes, my son goes in the morning and is home by noon)

Quoting Basherte:

I can't wait until he is talking my ear off. Seriously. He babbles now. He isn't quiet at all. At least most of the time. He still has his moments, but he isn't verbal in that he doesn't say any actual words. Til this morning. OMG. I'm still excited, and hoping that it is what he said this morning.

Quoting celestegood:

Meanwhile I feel your pain. I think all moms feel like that from time to time. It gets better I swear! Lol
Quoting Basherte:

Exactly. Some weeks all I need is the two days that I get to sleep in and I'm great. Others... well.. there are times I wish I had some alcohol in the house (For me not my son)

Thankfully, those times are very few and far between. My son is amazing. He's surprising me all the time. This morning I swear he said Monsters, when I had put it in the dvd player, in between the menu screen and the actual start of the movie. There are monsters that race around the screen doing a lot of different things, among them is putting the name of the movie up. I paused. I was like "did you say what I think you just said." then I told him that was great! I'm so proud of you. Can you say it again? He did. My heart stopped for a milisecond. I'm so proud. I'm so excited. 

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Basherte:

I can take a long hot shower and paint my nails, then read a book after my son goes to sleep.

Maybe I'll schedule that for sometime this week. Schedule it with myself, and give DH a heads up on it.

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Basherte:

Right now I would send my dh and ds away for the day. So that I could spend some of it cleaning the house, and some of it "pampering" myself, by taking a long hot shower, painting my nails. reading a book or watching some tv. Just relax for the rest of the time.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 6:40 AM

:-)

Honestly, I would get your nails done. (To respond to what you did post.) if you have long nails, you can get them painted in a "cool" style for pretty cheap. It's when you start adding the fake stuff that costs a bit. It would be something fun, not too expensive, and something just for you.  :-) I have long hair without any style as well. My nails are (finally) naturally long but unpainted right now. I'm experimenting trying to do the cute painting on them myself (I suck except for the french manicure style so I'm using different colors with the same style.)

You should totally think about a little momma time. 

You are a mother, you work. Even if you don't leave the house for it or you don't get a paycheck, you work. 

(I hope I didn't overstep. You are such an awesome lady)

Quoting want10more:

thanks bash, and no....... i screwed up somewhere. my post made no sense in the context. ty for pointing that out to me, in such a kind way. sorry i screwed up.

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting want10more:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Basherte:

CafeMom Tickers
want10more
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 3:15 AM

lol bash, you're the shiznit! naw, i'd rather do my nails myself...... i 'm gettin crazy good at the cool stuff! and when it comes to the french manicure? holy hell find seche vite. top coat, makes your nails SO hard, and dries SOOOO quick! no sheet marks!

and you didn't overstep, you made my DAY! (!!!!!!)

Quoting Basherte:

Honestly, I would get your nails done. (To respond to what you did post.) if you have long nails, you can get them painted in a "cool" style for pretty cheap. It's when you start adding the fake stuff that costs a bit. It would be something fun, not too expensive, and something just for you.  :-) I have long hair without any style as well. My nails are (finally) naturally long but unpainted right now. I'm experimenting trying to do the cute painting on them myself (I suck except for the french manicure style so I'm using different colors with the same style.)

You are a mother, you work. Even if you don't leave the house for it or you don't get a paycheck, you work. 

Quoting want10more:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting want10more:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Basherte:

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 5:52 AM

Thanks. :-) I will look for seche vite top coat. I could really use something that hardens them a little bit. 

Quoting want10more:

lol bash, you're the shiznit! naw, i'd rather do my nails myself...... i 'm gettin crazy good at the cool stuff! and when it comes to the french manicure? holy hell find seche vite. top coat, makes your nails SO hard, and dries SOOOO quick! no sheet marks!

and you didn't overstep, you made my DAY! (!!!!!!)

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting want10more:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting want10more:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Basherte:

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting Basherte:

CafeMom Tickers
JILLYBEAN2362
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I worked for a dentist office for 4 years. Every year for our Christmas party the dentist would give us $300 cash and take us shopping. The stipulation was you had to spend the $ on no one but yourself. It was sooo much fun!!! I'd go get my hair cut and colored and spend the rest on clothes and shoes. It's the only time since having children that I got to buy myself new things and treat myself and not feel awful about it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)