Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Why do babies need whole milk?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM
  • 19 Replies

I noticed my sister giving my 16 month old niece skim milk.  I know she is not my kid, but this child is extremely skinny (she doesn't weigh 20 pounds yet.)  I have four kids of my own and they were all on whole milk until 2ish. I would just like to know your opinions of whole milk and babies/toddlers. I don't know how to approach this either, for fear that she will fly off the handle at me.

by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:31 PM
3 moms liked this
The fat in whole milk is for their brains.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cassiehmomof3
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I knew that much but was just wondering if it was specifically for anything else.  Thanks for replying though you rock

caligirl7613
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:37 PM
well her kid does seem small BUT some kids are just built like that...also...kids are "technically" only supposed to have whole milk from 1 to 2 after 2 your "supposed" to go to 2 percent 1 percent or skim milk. toddlers between 1 and 2 need quite a bit of fat\calories in their diet (more than you would think) and whole milk really helps with that...if your worried mayne you could casually mention it...hey how come you give (insert kids name here) skim milk, does she not really like milk?? (wait until u see her doing this, dont just bring it up randomly) also, there maybe some kind of issue going on that you dont know about so maybe the dr advised skim milk...but to be 16 months and not 20lbs...that personally seems really low to me but u never know, some kids are just small. as far as u know, does the baby visit the dr when she is supposed to??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cassiehmomof3
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Yes she does visit a doctor.  I'm probably just being a worry wart.  I just hope she's not pushing her fear of being fat on to her kids by depriving them of things they need.  Kids are rather resilient so I'm sure she will be fine but I am going to bring it up in conversation some time.

goddess99
by Michelle on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I gave my dd whole milk for quite awhile. She may have been 4 when I switched to 2%, not sure though.

lilhandswonder0
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Toddlers need the extra calories if they are not getting it in their food. But if they are eating a well balanced meal through out the day then 2% milk is ok. Otherwise I think they need whole milk till they're at least 2-3 y/o and some kind of vitamin if they're not eating right.
Check this website out. It's from a pediatrician. Maybe it'll be helpful to pass it on to ur sis n let her choose.
http://m.parenting.com/entry/view/id/10649#continue
Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 2:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Whole milk has the fats that babies need for brain development etc. 

mama232011
by Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 2:38 AM
Hmm my kids don't drink milk at all... my dd either gets really bad diahreah or vomits after more than an oz and my son is still on boobies
cassiehmomof3
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM
Thanks ladies for all of your opinions.
MichelleMc
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Milk is not needed at all. It is just what we believe because of things we were told for years. Milk, other than its vitamins, etc. is VERY high in fat & sugar. 1 Cup of whole milk( as in measurement cup ) Has 12 g of sugar & 3.25% of fat. 

It used to be, From 1-2 whole milk

From 2 years of age & on, Skim is best for everyone. ( Skinny or fat ). 

NOW, they have changed it 12 months to 23 months 2% milk to anyone that has a family history of overweight, the child is overweight or family history of high cholesterol. 

24 months on, Skim milk. 

They can get what they need elsewhere too. If they are eating foods & other things. I wouldn't worry if she goes to the doctor & mom isn't avoiding the doctor. She could just be petite. I know alot of girls that are. But I do know a few kids that are that size actually.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN