Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Why do babies need whole milk?

Posted by   + Show Post

I noticed my sister giving my 16 month old niece skim milk.  I know she is not my kid, but this child is extremely skinny (she doesn't weigh 20 pounds yet.)  I have four kids of my own and they were all on whole milk until 2ish. I would just like to know your opinions of whole milk and babies/toddlers. I don't know how to approach this either, for fear that she will fly off the handle at me.

by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Replies (11-19):
splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM

My 3 year old & 8 year old still drink whole milk. I'm not really sure if there is a good/easy way to question her parenting. No matter what she will probably get offended. 

Beenthere3times
by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Someone else posted this, yes, whole milk is for brain development it's a must.

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 7:58 PM

whole milk until about 2 or 3 depending on the child and then step down to 2%.  at least thats how it is in our house.

celticgodess
by Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM

My 15 mo drinks 1% with the rest of , but she doesn't drink much milk anyway.  She gets her nutrition from a varied, healthy diet.

Mom2Just1
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 12:33 AM
They don't. Nursing 3 times a day or getting their nutrients fr other food is fine.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:10 PM

The first year whole milk for brain development.

justahousewife
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't drink anything but full fat and definitely wouldn't give it to my kiddos. Growing/working bodies need whole food, not skim/fatfree. IMHO 

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:08 AM
I've always heard the extra fats are needed for them in the whole milk...
ToniTennille
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 12:18 AM
The fat in milk as you know is for the brain but the fat also adds twice the calories. Which is needed for all their growth spurts. However in our house I don't switch them over to low-fat or skim. We all prefer whole milk.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN