Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Why is everyone calling her a racist?

Posted by   + Show Post

On Sunday night, Katy Perry was the opening performance at the American Music Awards. She performed in a full geisha costume and twitter and social media went wild.

A director at the National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum was quoted as saying " "It is yet another example of Orientalist, exoticizing stereotypes about Asian women being reinforced. When you consider the pairing of her ensemble, which for the average viewer invokes the stereotypical 'geisha' image, with the words of the lyrics, 'I will love you unconditionally … don't need apologies,' it's clear that — intentionally or not — Katy is encouraging the kind of racist fetishization of Asian women as submissive and powerless that harms us and clouds the strength and resilience we demonstrate every day in this country as we support our families, contribute to the economy, and lead movements for social change."  ". 

Critics are saying that her performance was no difference than if she had performed in black face.

Check it out for yourself:

Do you think she was being racially insensitive with her performance?

Do you think her costume was perpetuating a negative stereotype?

Are we too quick call someone a racist these days?

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Replies (91-96):
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I will. I mean I kind of assumed that there was a book, as there aren't too many movies made that aren't being made because of a book, but hadn't heard of it.

Though I do tend to read horror and fanatasy books, so that could explain that.

Quoting La_Vie_en_R0se:

The movie is based on the book. I have not seen it. The book is one of my all time favorites. Do yourself a favor and read it soon!

Quoting Basherte:

No. The only reason I even saw the movie is because my brother owned the dvd of it. He told me it was amazing, and made me and dh watch it with him. I agreed with him that it is amazing. I didn't even know there was a book. 

Another book on my list of need to buy

Quoting La_Vie_en_R0se:

This. Have you read the book? It is freaking awesome. I think people misinterpret what a Geisha was.

Quoting Basherte:

I think people need to research and find out what it truly meant to be Geisha. 

Memoirs of a Geisha... is a very amazing movie, and had me researching to find out. Because throughout my life I was lead to believe that a Geisha was a lot of things that they weren't. 

She is beautiful, and is not truly dressed as a true Geisha would be dressed. Her face isn't completely white and her hair doesn't appear to have had hot wax applied to it. Her movements are extravegant. (spelling please fix)  

If one thing can be said... Geisha were extremely beautiful living moving art. As well as extremely intelligent women. 

Any woman, is capable of loving unconditionally. 

The training of the traditional Geisha was rigorous, long, and painful.

I don't think she was being racially insensitive.  No. Geisha were/are strong women. Very strong. 

We are way too quick to call someone a racist these days. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that if anyone disagrees with what the president is doing or saying that we are called not only anti American, but also racist now too.

I loved that performance. I thought it was beautiful, artistic, and well done.

CafeMom Tickers
KRIZZ25
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM
i,m not calling her one.. i thank it was beautiful..
RitaTequila531
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Idk maybe culturally insensitive but whatever
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JingD
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Oh, whatever!  It is annoying when people get ultra-sensitive over race. 

MooNFaeRie30
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I do not think she was being racist

Bribriesmom
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Her performance was artist and nothing like the true submissive Geisha Women. It was beautiful. I agree with you, she honored and showed Geisha as powerful.

Quoting SweetLuci:

I think some people look for things to call racist, it just demeans things that really are racist.

To me she was honoring another culture.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN