Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Why is everyone calling her a racist?

Posted by   + Show Post

On Sunday night, Katy Perry was the opening performance at the American Music Awards. She performed in a full geisha costume and twitter and social media went wild.

A director at the National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum was quoted as saying " "It is yet another example of Orientalist, exoticizing stereotypes about Asian women being reinforced. When you consider the pairing of her ensemble, which for the average viewer invokes the stereotypical 'geisha' image, with the words of the lyrics, 'I will love you unconditionally … don't need apologies,' it's clear that — intentionally or not — Katy is encouraging the kind of racist fetishization of Asian women as submissive and powerless that harms us and clouds the strength and resilience we demonstrate every day in this country as we support our families, contribute to the economy, and lead movements for social change."  ". 

Critics are saying that her performance was no difference than if she had performed in black face.

Check it out for yourself:

Do you think she was being racially insensitive with her performance?

Do you think her costume was perpetuating a negative stereotype?

Are we too quick call someone a racist these days?

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Everything is racist now and days
Mish321
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:46 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't think it's racist, but I'm not Asian so I don't know how I would feel about it if I was. 

Malayahsmom06
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I dont think shes being racist.

vwd_johnson
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM
People are too quick to call everyone a racist. Its just annoying.
kay283
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Harmless. Not racist at all. Comparing it to a black face is ridiculous
mommie2madison
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:09 AM
I dont think it os racist at all - if I was Asian I might feel differently. If anything she was reinforcing the stereotypical relationship between man & woman - just because she was dressed the way she was should not be interpreted as some Asian message being intended. SMH
la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:23 AM

No, in my opinion she was honoring a culture.

Erica246
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM
2 moms liked this

I would like to get the input of some Japanese woman.  Of course a bunch of white ladies don't think its racist.  They aren't the ones connected to this culture or having general negative stereotypes about all Asian woman being reinforced.  I wonder how many men saw this and said to the selfs, I need a submissive Asian woman.

How many country gals wouldn't get offended seeing some hillbilly, ignorant acting, white trash, moon shine drinking, blatantly racist, hee hawing, tore up clothes wearing country foke representing their "culture" on national t.v.  I bet plenty of southern woman would be pissed that such stereotypes were being reinforced.  They would probably be pissed to because not all southern people are like that.

but I suppose such a narrow, sterotypical and incomplete represantation of southern people can still be "honoring thier culture" 

TB78
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Do you think she was being racially insensitive with her performance? No

Do you think her costume was perpetuating a negative stereotype? No

Are we too quick call someone a racist these days? Yes

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM
I don't think so, but I'm sure I'll be called racist for thinking she isn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN