Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Why is everyone calling her a racist?

Posted by   + Show Post

On Sunday night, Katy Perry was the opening performance at the American Music Awards. She performed in a full geisha costume and twitter and social media went wild.

A director at the National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum was quoted as saying " "It is yet another example of Orientalist, exoticizing stereotypes about Asian women being reinforced. When you consider the pairing of her ensemble, which for the average viewer invokes the stereotypical 'geisha' image, with the words of the lyrics, 'I will love you unconditionally … don't need apologies,' it's clear that — intentionally or not — Katy is encouraging the kind of racist fetishization of Asian women as submissive and powerless that harms us and clouds the strength and resilience we demonstrate every day in this country as we support our families, contribute to the economy, and lead movements for social change."  ". 

Critics are saying that her performance was no difference than if she had performed in black face.

Check it out for yourself:

Do you think she was being racially insensitive with her performance?

Do you think her costume was perpetuating a negative stereotype?

Are we too quick call someone a racist these days?

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Replies (31-40):
MidwestMama55
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Yes, way too quick. This is not racist, in the least. Those who think so need to get thicker skin, and grow up.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Okay, I can kinda see that. 

She wasn't very accurate in her representation.

I get your point. Her name is Katy... not kathy. (not sure if that is a typo or a spelling error, or if you even care. Not trying to be a grammar nazi, as I fail all the time. Just pointing that out.)

Quoting Erica246:

Yes training to be a Geisha was tough and they were strong woman.  I doubt with such training they would be happy to be represnt haphazardly by Kathy Perry.  I didn't say it was racist, but it is without a doubt a misrepresentation, insultive, and far from honoring the culture or traditions of a Geisha.  That's it.

Quoting Basherte:

I think people need to research and find out what it truly meant to be Geisha. 

Memoirs of a Geisha... is a very amazing movie, and had me researching to find out. Because throughout my life I was lead to believe that a Geisha was a lot of things that they weren't. 

She is beautiful, and is not truly dressed as a true Geisha would be dressed. Her face isn't completely white and her hair doesn't appear to have had hot wax applied to it. Her movements are extravegant. (spelling please fix)  

If one thing can be said... Geisha were extremely beautiful living moving art. As well as extremely intelligent women. 

Any woman, is capable of loving unconditionally. 

The training of the traditional Geisha was rigorous, long, and painful.

I don't think she was being racially insensitive.  No. Geisha were/are strong women. Very strong. 

We are way too quick to call someone a racist these days. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that if anyone disagrees with what the president is doing or saying that we are called not only anti American, but also racist now too.

I loved that performance. I thought it was beautiful, artistic, and well done.

CafeMom Tickers
Succubus1987
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM
The word raciest is way over used now a days.
samsgirl1
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I thought it was pretty, and people are so fast to use the racist card, it was an entertaining performance.

Erica246
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:25 AM

That's fine and yes I know it's Katy.  When it comes down to it she is simply trying to get publicity.  So she has succeeded.

Quoting Basherte:

Okay, I can kinda see that. 

She wasn't very accurate in her representation.

I get your point. Her name is Katy... not kathy. (not sure if that is a typo or a spelling error, or if you even care. Not trying to be a grammar nazi, as I fail all the time. Just pointing that out.)

Quoting Erica246:

Yes training to be a Geisha was tough and they were strong woman.  I doubt with such training they would be happy to be represnt haphazardly by Kathy Perry.  I didn't say it was racist, but it is without a doubt a misrepresentation, insultive, and far from honoring the culture or traditions of a Geisha.  That's it.

Quoting Basherte:

I think people need to research and find out what it truly meant to be Geisha. 

Memoirs of a Geisha... is a very amazing movie, and had me researching to find out. Because throughout my life I was lead to believe that a Geisha was a lot of things that they weren't. 

She is beautiful, and is not truly dressed as a true Geisha would be dressed. Her face isn't completely white and her hair doesn't appear to have had hot wax applied to it. Her movements are extravegant. (spelling please fix)  

If one thing can be said... Geisha were extremely beautiful living moving art. As well as extremely intelligent women. 

Any woman, is capable of loving unconditionally. 

The training of the traditional Geisha was rigorous, long, and painful.

I don't think she was being racially insensitive.  No. Geisha were/are strong women. Very strong. 

We are way too quick to call someone a racist these days. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that if anyone disagrees with what the president is doing or saying that we are called not only anti American, but also racist now too.

I loved that performance. I thought it was beautiful, artistic, and well done.

mhaney03
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:27 AM

being racist is the new fad.  she could have done something stereotypically white and she'd be called a racist.

Succubus1987
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM
God you're a fucktard lol.

Quoting Erica246:

I would like to get the input of some Japanese woman.  Of course a bunch of white ladies don't think its racist.  They aren't the ones connected to this culture or having general negative stereotypes about all Asian woman being reinforced.  I wonder how many men saw this and said to the selfs, I need a submissive Asian woman.

How many country gals wouldn't get offended seeing some hillbilly, ignorant acting, white trash, moon shine drinking, blatantly racist, hee hawing, tore up clothes wearing country foke representing their "culture" on national t.v.  I bet plenty of southern woman would be pissed that such stereotypes were being reinforced.  They would probably be pissed to because not all southern people are like that.

but I suppose such a narrow, sterotypical and incomplete represantation of southern people can still be "honoring thier culture" 

Erica246
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks.  I love you too

Quoting Succubus1987:

Quoting Erica246:

I would like to get the input of some Japanese woman.  Of course a bunch of white ladies don't think its racist.  They aren't the ones connected to this culture or having general negative stereotypes about all Asian woman being reinforced.  I wonder how many men saw this and said to the selfs, I need a submissive Asian woman.

How many country gals wouldn't get offended seeing some hillbilly, ignorant acting, white trash, moon shine drinking, blatantly racist, hee hawing, tore up clothes wearing country foke representing their "culture" on national t.v.  I bet plenty of southern woman would be pissed that such stereotypes were being reinforced.  They would probably be pissed to because not all southern people are like that.

but I suppose such a narrow, sterotypical and incomplete represantation of southern people can still be "honoring thier culture" 

Succubus1987
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this
No, because there's no such thing as being racist against white, duh lol.

Quoting mhaney03:

being racist is the new fad.  she could have done something stereotypically white and she'd be called a racist.

Succubus1987
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM
;)

Quoting Erica246:

Thanks.  I love you too

Quoting Succubus1987:

Quoting Erica246:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN