Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Why is everyone calling her a racist?

Posted by   + Show Post

On Sunday night, Katy Perry was the opening performance at the American Music Awards. She performed in a full geisha costume and twitter and social media went wild.

A director at the National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum was quoted as saying " "It is yet another example of Orientalist, exoticizing stereotypes about Asian women being reinforced. When you consider the pairing of her ensemble, which for the average viewer invokes the stereotypical 'geisha' image, with the words of the lyrics, 'I will love you unconditionally … don't need apologies,' it's clear that — intentionally or not — Katy is encouraging the kind of racist fetishization of Asian women as submissive and powerless that harms us and clouds the strength and resilience we demonstrate every day in this country as we support our families, contribute to the economy, and lead movements for social change."  ". 

Critics are saying that her performance was no difference than if she had performed in black face.

Check it out for yourself:

Do you think she was being racially insensitive with her performance?

Do you think her costume was perpetuating a negative stereotype?

Are we too quick call someone a racist these days?

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Replies (41-50):
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Seem that lately the term racist is used to mean whatever the speaker wants it to mean.

At Halloween, there was a little piece on the news about a school that had sent home a list of Inappropriately racist costumes. The ones I remember were cowboy and Indian costumes. Really?

Quoting nova.mommy:

That is what I thought to.  

Quoting SweetLuci:

I think some people look for things to call racist, it just demeans things that really are racist.

To me she was honoring another culture.

And to for them to say she was 'invoking the stereotypical geisha', she was not because the stereotypical geisha would not to anything to make herself standout.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I wouldn't have known about this performance, had I not seen it on this forum, though.

Isn't that what actresses and actors and other such people do for a living? Get attention?

Quoting Erica246:

That's fine and yes I know it's Katy.  When it comes down to it she is simply trying to get publicity.  So she has succeeded.

Quoting Basherte:

Okay, I can kinda see that. 

She wasn't very accurate in her representation.

I get your point. Her name is Katy... not kathy. (not sure if that is a typo or a spelling error, or if you even care. Not trying to be a grammar nazi, as I fail all the time. Just pointing that out.)

Quoting Erica246:

Yes training to be a Geisha was tough and they were strong woman.  I doubt with such training they would be happy to be represnt haphazardly by Kathy Perry.  I didn't say it was racist, but it is without a doubt a misrepresentation, insultive, and far from honoring the culture or traditions of a Geisha.  That's it.

Quoting Basherte:

I think people need to research and find out what it truly meant to be Geisha. 

Memoirs of a Geisha... is a very amazing movie, and had me researching to find out. Because throughout my life I was lead to believe that a Geisha was a lot of things that they weren't. 

She is beautiful, and is not truly dressed as a true Geisha would be dressed. Her face isn't completely white and her hair doesn't appear to have had hot wax applied to it. Her movements are extravegant. (spelling please fix)  

If one thing can be said... Geisha were extremely beautiful living moving art. As well as extremely intelligent women. 

Any woman, is capable of loving unconditionally. 

The training of the traditional Geisha was rigorous, long, and painful.

I don't think she was being racially insensitive.  No. Geisha were/are strong women. Very strong. 

We are way too quick to call someone a racist these days. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that if anyone disagrees with what the president is doing or saying that we are called not only anti American, but also racist now too.

I loved that performance. I thought it was beautiful, artistic, and well done.

CafeMom Tickers
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Since we're talking about racism, why was it so horrible that because Paula Deen told the truth, that she had used the N word 30 years ago when she was being robbed at gunpoint, that she lost all her sponsors and her show and was lambasted by the media, but when white football player Richie Incognito called a black team mate the N word and was bullying him, all the other black team mates said it was ok. Why? 

Erica246
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Yep

Quoting Basherte:

I wouldn't have known about this performance, had I not seen it on this forum, though.

Isn't that what actresses and actors and other such people do for a living? Get attention?

Quoting Erica246:

That's fine and yes I know it's Katy.  When it comes down to it she is simply trying to get publicity.  So she has succeeded.

Quoting Basherte:

Okay, I can kinda see that. 

She wasn't very accurate in her representation.

I get your point. Her name is Katy... not kathy. (not sure if that is a typo or a spelling error, or if you even care. Not trying to be a grammar nazi, as I fail all the time. Just pointing that out.)

Quoting Erica246:

Yes training to be a Geisha was tough and they were strong woman.  I doubt with such training they would be happy to be represnt haphazardly by Kathy Perry.  I didn't say it was racist, but it is without a doubt a misrepresentation, insultive, and far from honoring the culture or traditions of a Geisha.  That's it.

Quoting Basherte:

I think people need to research and find out what it truly meant to be Geisha. 

Memoirs of a Geisha... is a very amazing movie, and had me researching to find out. Because throughout my life I was lead to believe that a Geisha was a lot of things that they weren't. 

She is beautiful, and is not truly dressed as a true Geisha would be dressed. Her face isn't completely white and her hair doesn't appear to have had hot wax applied to it. Her movements are extravegant. (spelling please fix)  

If one thing can be said... Geisha were extremely beautiful living moving art. As well as extremely intelligent women. 

Any woman, is capable of loving unconditionally. 

The training of the traditional Geisha was rigorous, long, and painful.

I don't think she was being racially insensitive.  No. Geisha were/are strong women. Very strong. 

We are way too quick to call someone a racist these days. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that if anyone disagrees with what the president is doing or saying that we are called not only anti American, but also racist now too.

I loved that performance. I thought it was beautiful, artistic, and well done.

GMom2011
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Considering true Geisha are honored and revered in Japanese culture still today, I would say that portraying a Geisha is not racist. Her performance wasn't true Geisha though.

She's getting called racist and insensitive because she is a white woman doing it. If Beyonce did it, it would be amazing, and beautiful and no comments made otherwise. But an evil white chick did it... So of course it's racist,
Janet
by Ruby Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 11:46 AM

No

justahousewife
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Another shining example of how being PC has gotten way out of hand. What happened to freedom of expression?

HIJKLM
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM
fetishization? Is that even a word? Lol
mamavalor
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM

I am of Chinese decent and think her performance was very well done.  Tasteful and creative and not at all offensive. 

luvnature
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM

The majority of people nowadays call everyone who don't think exactly like themselves racists. That is a very sad reality. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)