Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Why is everyone calling her a racist?

Posted by   + Show Post

On Sunday night, Katy Perry was the opening performance at the American Music Awards. She performed in a full geisha costume and twitter and social media went wild.

A director at the National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum was quoted as saying " "It is yet another example of Orientalist, exoticizing stereotypes about Asian women being reinforced. When you consider the pairing of her ensemble, which for the average viewer invokes the stereotypical 'geisha' image, with the words of the lyrics, 'I will love you unconditionally … don't need apologies,' it's clear that — intentionally or not — Katy is encouraging the kind of racist fetishization of Asian women as submissive and powerless that harms us and clouds the strength and resilience we demonstrate every day in this country as we support our families, contribute to the economy, and lead movements for social change."  ". 

Critics are saying that her performance was no difference than if she had performed in black face.

Check it out for yourself:

Do you think she was being racially insensitive with her performance?

Do you think her costume was perpetuating a negative stereotype?

Are we too quick call someone a racist these days?

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Replies (51-60):
bamamommy2009
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM

nope I think she is beautiful and people who call raciest have their own agenda in store

KW1280
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this
This exactly

Quoting Mish321:

I don't think it's racist, but I'm not Asian so I don't know how I would feel about it if I was. 

merryvoice
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry, but that's one of the most stupid things I've heard. People are way too sensitive.
SavannaMarie
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that everyone has so many different opinions of the term "racist" how can you say your opinion is right and someone else's is wrong. Maybe she likes the look and that's it. It doesn't have to be so personal. you really think her main purpose was to be "racist" ?? no not at all... Nothing that we haven't seen before in a ton of other movies.
RobinBright
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
It was absolutely racist to appropriate controversial elements of another culture and assume them for herself.

The ignorance surrounding this issue is sad.
CookiePwnz
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I think that people need to get lives.

splatz
by Sarah on Nov. 26, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I agree with PP that some people just look for things to call racist. 

Ladybug-88
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM

First I would like to start by saying the performance looked amazing.Truthfully I think her performance of interpreting a giesha visually gave a stronger definition to the song. Giesha are a class of professional women in japan trained from childhood in conversation, dancing, singing, etc. to entertain a professional or social gathering of men. In my opinion it consumes there life and they're biggest dedication goes to vanity and professionalism with no time for love. So to risk everything you've known since your childhood. For lack of better words I got the message. I dont think its racially insensitive. I think its racist to shut different viewpoints upon culture down simply because one is not of the same race or have a lack of understanding in the regard to what is truly being expressed because of race. I think the race card is pulled too much. In todays society  people are definitely more open with feelings but how can you truly call someone a racist if you dont know them. I have seen many people of different races say controversial things simply out of misunderstanding and when its all said and done they have a better understanding. Racism presents itself  I think in very obvious ways. Racism is hate not indivisuality. I hope my thoughts make sense. Just my opinion.

simple smile

Raindelay
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 3:47 PM
You can not say or do anything without offending someone in today's culture. Some people are on the defense all of the time looking for the bad in people instead of looking for the good. Personally I don't listen to Katie Perry. But after watching this video I doubt it was her intention to offend Asian women.
myprettypoly
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 4:02 PM
The little bit I caught of it was beautiful and very artistic. Someone had their panties wadded when they complained and they need to get a grip.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)