Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Why is everyone calling her a racist?

Posted by   + Show Post

On Sunday night, Katy Perry was the opening performance at the American Music Awards. She performed in a full geisha costume and twitter and social media went wild.

A director at the National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum was quoted as saying " "It is yet another example of Orientalist, exoticizing stereotypes about Asian women being reinforced. When you consider the pairing of her ensemble, which for the average viewer invokes the stereotypical 'geisha' image, with the words of the lyrics, 'I will love you unconditionally … don't need apologies,' it's clear that — intentionally or not — Katy is encouraging the kind of racist fetishization of Asian women as submissive and powerless that harms us and clouds the strength and resilience we demonstrate every day in this country as we support our families, contribute to the economy, and lead movements for social change."  ". 

Critics are saying that her performance was no difference than if she had performed in black face.

Check it out for yourself:

Do you think she was being racially insensitive with her performance?

Do you think her costume was perpetuating a negative stereotype?

Are we too quick call someone a racist these days?

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Replies (61-70):
mamideethan
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Because it's a reference to the female Geisha persona, it would be considered stereotypical, not racist (it's not referring to the race as a whole). So it's not racist, and no, I don't think it's stereotypical either.

thanush
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

To me it's no difference than the "Japanese Dance" I took part in middle school. (Her dance is way beautiful, we were just a bunch of 12 yr olds walking on our toes trying not to fall )

But there's another side to it.. I have decided that I would never wear cultural attire as a Halloween costume or would let my kids wear it. No matter how much you love that culture it will come off as being insensitive. We had a huge willow tree in our yard where we lived in MO.  I wanted to dress in a Pocahontas costume and give candy under it. I even purchased a costume but never wore it since I felt no matter how much I love to dress like that I may offend or hurt someone..  (There were collage kids protesting that year, against cultural attire as Halloween costumes.. I decided not to wear my costume as soon as I saw that on news)

sensual_peaches
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM
3 moms liked this
As an Asian woman I say its whatever! I am much more offense when people call me Oriental. I'm not a fucking rug!
newwifenmom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Ugh, people drive me nuts. Everything is racist these days.

Goddesswillow
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM

that is not racist or insensitive, people now days are just need to relax

3brown1blue
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Um...well it's not directed to all women...just whores
squeekers
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

so many people getting their knickers in a twist. it's tough nowadays to figure what is and what isnt racist to the paparatzi.

SpiritFortress
by Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 8:00 PM

yes, we are too quick to call someone a racist. 

Pattiannedoll
by on Nov. 26, 2013 at 8:22 PM
I don't think it was racist at all, The show/performance was beautiful :) U know the stars catch heat for everything, it boost ratings, they hardly ever c positive, she did an excellent impersonation of the Asians despite the negative meaning from their culture... LOVED IT !! :)
Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Nov. 26, 2013 at 10:47 PM

None of the above! People are just down right ignorent and stupid as crap

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)