Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Why is everyone calling her a racist?

Posted by   + Show Post

On Sunday night, Katy Perry was the opening performance at the American Music Awards. She performed in a full geisha costume and twitter and social media went wild.

A director at the National Asian Pacific American Women's Forum was quoted as saying " "It is yet another example of Orientalist, exoticizing stereotypes about Asian women being reinforced. When you consider the pairing of her ensemble, which for the average viewer invokes the stereotypical 'geisha' image, with the words of the lyrics, 'I will love you unconditionally … don't need apologies,' it's clear that — intentionally or not — Katy is encouraging the kind of racist fetishization of Asian women as submissive and powerless that harms us and clouds the strength and resilience we demonstrate every day in this country as we support our families, contribute to the economy, and lead movements for social change."  ". 

Critics are saying that her performance was no difference than if she had performed in black face.

Check it out for yourself:

Do you think she was being racially insensitive with her performance?

Do you think her costume was perpetuating a negative stereotype?

Are we too quick call someone a racist these days?

by on Nov. 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Replies (81-90):
RobinBright
by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Finally, someone else chimes in with enough intellectual depth to understand that this was NOT just "a pretty costume."

The ignorance is truly astounding-- and I mean ignorance in the truest sense, that people simply do not know what the issues here are. 

Quoting EvilQueenMommy:

Do you think she was being racially insensitive with her performance? Yes

Do you think her costume was perpetuating a negative stereotype? Yes

Are we too quick call someone a racist these days? Not really. I think people are starting to realize and be vocal about racism

Keep an open mind--
but not so open that your brain falls out. 

jky_67
by Member on Nov. 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM
2 moms liked this
Um...I'm Asian and I didn't find it offensive or racist, I don't understand why they're complaining. It's a "performance" for an entertainment awards show. Lighten up, critics!!

Quoting Light.Shine:

She's putting on a show.  I really liked it, actually.

phreddy1
by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM
I personally don't believe this was a racist act, but that is coming from a white, American woman. I can understand how an Asian woman can see this as racist. Especially after WWII and the condemnation that geisha's received from American's
AliKatAK47
by Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 1:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I was a Geisha once for Halloween. OMG, 16 year old me was sooo racist.
momtodab
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Oh geez someone got their panties in a bunch again. Really? It's s show there just bored
xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this
This is exactly what I was gonna say.

Quoting SweetLuci:

I think some people look for things to call racist, it just demeans things that really are racist.

To me she was honoring another culture.

La_Vie_en_R0se
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 10:07 AM
This. Have you read the book? It is freaking awesome. I think people misinterpret what a Geisha was.

Quoting Basherte:

I think people need to research and find out what it truly meant to be Geisha. 

Memoirs of a Geisha... is a very amazing movie, and had me researching to find out. Because throughout my life I was lead to believe that a Geisha was a lot of things that they weren't. 

She is beautiful, and is not truly dressed as a true Geisha would be dressed. Her face isn't completely white and her hair doesn't appear to have had hot wax applied to it. Her movements are extravegant. (spelling please fix)  

If one thing can be said... Geisha were extremely beautiful living moving art. As well as extremely intelligent women. 

Any woman, is capable of loving unconditionally. 

The training of the traditional Geisha was rigorous, long, and painful.

I don't think she was being racially insensitive.  No. Geisha were/are strong women. Very strong. 

We are way too quick to call someone a racist these days. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that if anyone disagrees with what the president is doing or saying that we are called not only anti American, but also racist now too.

I loved that performance. I thought it was beautiful, artistic, and well done.

La_Vie_en_R0se
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 10:09 AM
A Geisha was not a whore.

Quoting 3brown1blue:

Um...well it's not directed to all women...just whores

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM

No. The only reason I even saw the movie is because my brother owned the dvd of it. He told me it was amazing, and made me and dh watch it with him. I agreed with him that it is amazing. I didn't even know there was a book. 

Another book on my list of need to buy

Quoting La_Vie_en_R0se:

This. Have you read the book? It is freaking awesome. I think people misinterpret what a Geisha was.

Quoting Basherte:

Memoirs of a Geisha... is a very amazing movie, and had me researching to find out. Because throughout my life I was lead to believe that a Geisha was a lot of things that they weren't. 

She is beautiful, and is not truly dressed as a true Geisha would be dressed. Her face isn't completely white and her hair doesn't appear to have had hot wax applied to it. Her movements are extravegant. (spelling please fix)  

If one thing can be said... Geisha were extremely beautiful living moving art. As well as extremely intelligent women. 

I don't think she was being racially insensitive.  No. Geisha were/are strong women. Very strong. 

We are way too quick to call someone a racist these days. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that if anyone disagrees with what the president is doing or saying that we are called not only anti American, but also racist now too.

CafeMom Tickers
La_Vie_en_R0se
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM
The movie is based on the book. I have not seen it. The book is one of my all time favorites. Do yourself a favor and read it soon!

Quoting Basherte:

No. The only reason I even saw the movie is because my brother owned the dvd of it. He told me it was amazing, and made me and dh watch it with him. I agreed with him that it is amazing. I didn't even know there was a book. 

Another book on my list of need to buy

Quoting La_Vie_en_R0se:

Quoting Basherte:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN