Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Anyone have a youg cat around

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 4:23 AM
  • 36 Replies
their new baby? My dd is worried about the cats when her new baby comes. People have scared her with stories about it. Saying the cat will smother the baby.
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 4:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marie_Edelman2
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 4:29 AM
1 mom liked this
My cat is 3 years old, I don't know if you consider that young or not since he isn't a kitten but my experience with cats and babies has always been that they are very uninterested and tend to stay away from them. They may be a little curious but they don't lay of them or anything like that. I have never actually heard a legitimate account of a cat smothering a baby either, just an old wives tale. I would say unless the cat is super aggressive and exhibits problematic behavior then it's fine and of course never leave any animal unattended with a baby, but that's common sense.
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I had 3 cats when I brought home my dd. Only 1 cat was ever remotely interested and she would come and meow at me if the baby was fussing lol.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Both my kids were raised around cats since the day they came home from hospital.  My cats would cuddle with me while I was cuddling baby.  Never had an issue

Janet
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I tried to tell my daughter that was an old wives tale.  lol

Quoting Marie_Edelman2: My cat is 3 years old, I don't know if you consider that young or not since he isn't a kitten but my experience with cats and babies has always been that they are very uninterested and tend to stay away from them. They may be a little curious but they don't lay of them or anything like that. I have never actually heard a legitimate account of a cat smothering a baby either, just an old wives tale. I would say unless the cat is super aggressive and exhibits problematic behavior then it's fine and of course never leave any animal unattended with a baby, but that's common sense.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Aww, mama instincts!

Quoting goddess99:

I had 3 cats when I brought home my dd. Only 1 cat was ever remotely interested and she would come and meow at me if the baby was fussing lol.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:50 PM

How sweet. :)

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

Both my kids were raised around cats since the day they came home from hospital.  My cats would cuddle with me while I was cuddling baby.  Never had an issue

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Never had any problems with ds and our cats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTE11
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I did but I also put a screen door on DD's room so none of the cats can get in there while she is sleeping. When she was a newborn she slept in our room and the cats were put in the laundry room to sleep. A cat isn't going to purposefully smother a baby but it will go and seek out a warm place to sleep, and that might be with the baby if the parents don't keep the baby and the cats separate for a while. It's better to be extra cautious than sorry, if the cat settles itself in front of the baby's face to sleep. During the day the baby and cats were out together (I could keep an eye on DD while she was sleeping to make sure the cats stayed away)  but at night I separated them.

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I know, she was just so sweet, my little helper lol.

Quoting Janet:

Aww, mama instincts!

Quoting goddess99:

Janet
by Ruby Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Was she one of those one of a kind cats? More human?

Quoting goddess99:

I know, she was just so sweet, my little helper lol.

Quoting Janet:

Aww, mama instincts!

Quoting goddess99:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)