Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Why I'm Getting My Son Everything on His Christmas List

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:10 PM
  • 11 Replies
Why I'm Getting My Son Everything on His Christmas List

by Mary Fischer

little boy with santa

As the mom of a second grader who will be turning 8 years old in a matter of months -- I'm no dummy when it comes to Christmas. Given his age, I know my days are numbered as far as how much longer he'll believe in Santa -- and something in my gut keeps telling me this just might be his last year. (Excuse me while I pause and cry a little bit.)

And since this might be the last time we experience all of the magic that goes along with a child waiting for Santa's arrival -- my husband and I are pulling out all the stops this year when it comes to gifts from the man in the red suit. 

Our son hasn't really made a list yet, but when he does? We're going to do everything in our power to make sure our little guy receives close to if not everything on it. (Unless he asks for something WAY out of reason, of course.)

Even if it means we have to run up the credit cards a little bit more or shell out a few extra bucks more than what we expect -- I just can't see ruining what might be the last year of Santa's magic in my house for the sake of saving some extra dough.

Not that he won't believe in Santa if he doesn't receive what he asks for -- but seeing the look on his face when he finds exactly what his little heart most desires on Christmas morning is worth every extra cent.

And before I go any further, I should probably go ahead and point out that we are dialing back the gifts our son will receive from us this year, which should even things out a little bit. (We're getting a family dog right after Christmas -- which is a HUGE gift for all three of us.)

Back to Santa and why I just can't bring myself to see him disappoint my little dude on December 25. Maybe it's just a case of me being really, really selfish -- but I want to cling to every last minute of the innocence that comes with thinking Santa actually squeezes his fat ass down the chimney each year. And laying awake at night listening for the reindeer's hooves on the roof. And running downstairs at the crack of dawn because he just can't stand to wait one more minute to see what Santa brought him.

If there is anything other than a look of wonder, excitement, and absolute elation on his face -- I'll just die. I mean, he won't notice if two or three things are missing. But if the bigger gifts he has his heart set on aren't there? OMG. What if my husband and I wind up killing his belief in the big man right then and there? That would suck.

At least by going all out one last time, there's the remote possibility that we can squeeze one more year out of him believing in Santa when Christmas 2014 rolls around.

And then I'll have to write a similar post all over again. Uh-oh ...

When did your kids stop believing in Santa Claus?

Do you/they equate the magic of Christmas with gifts?

by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Yep. That sounds good. Make next year worse to be able to catch up on the credit card bills since you're probably going to max out the credit limit, just so your child MAY believe in Santa a few more months. Really smart.
Spoiled_Blonde
by Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 1:05 AM
My kids still believe and dd is 10, ds is 7.
jett286
by Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 1:26 AM

When did your kids stop believing in Santa Claus? ~ our son was 7 when he asked a very detailed question about Santa ~ we'd always been cautious about giving Santa too much credit so we down played him and He never brought the best gifts...but at age 7 this is what he asked...Him:  Is Santa real? Me:  yes honey, St. Nicholous filled little childrens shoes with candy and toys....Him:  NO MOM! is there a fat man in a red suit that comes into our house through the chimney to bring us presents... Me:  (almost driving off the road) Uh why?  Him: I didn't think so!

Do you/they equate the magic of Christmas with gifts?  No we don't equte the magic of Christmas with gifts.  We celebrtate the birth of Jesus and celebrate love of family and friends.  We dialed back the gifts before he asked the question ....only 3 gifts (Jesus only got 3) and stockings stuffed...It has never been an issue and we always have a great time.  Even now that our boys are 17/19 before we open gifts they get out the picture book of the Nativity that was given to us in 1994 and read it....then we open gifts..This works for our family and I am so excited for Christmas!

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 1:38 AM

We've never told them Santa is real so it's a non-issue in our home.

And no, they don't equate Christmas with gifts.  We get up before them and make a yummy breakfast.  We eat it together and talk about the birth of Jesus before opening gits.  It actually takes us most of Christmas day to open gifts and it's not because there's so many.  We pull one out from under the tree and the person it belongs to opens it.  They might play with it for a bit before opening the next one but that's fine.  Nobody is ever in a hurry to get to the next one.  Sometimes my kids will get distracted playing with a gift for 15-20 minutes before they are ready for the next one.  They like showing the other one what they got and exploring it together.  I love our Christmas mornings :)  They'll also dig around to find one from them because they can't wait to give it.

johnny4ever
3 weeks till school starts!
Yesterday at 7:22 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Dec. 3, 2013 at 7:21 AM

When he was 8!His friend told him!Daniel still loves Polar Express,His bell we gave him and the magic of the movie

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM

My dd is 11 and claims she still believes. We're atheist so yep she associates Christmas with gifts.

MichelleMc
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Not sure on the exact age. I think about 7-8. But really, Santa is anyone who gives you something that doesn't want something in return. Santa should always exist. 

No Christmas is never about gifts. Whether you believe it is about religion or not, it should be about the good & memories, caring & sharing. 

This article though is ridiculous. Give them anything on the list because I will dial back & he might not believe in Santa soon? That is ridiculous. The magic of santa is not about getting everything you want & I would hope that your child has learned to not make a list 3 states long anyway!

shansa3fan
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM

My son has always been a very matter of fact. He's logical for the most part. When he was 9, he asked me if Santa was real and I told him yes. He was like playing detective and all my answers started sounding like crap. He told me to get real. So I explained why we have the tradition and that many other children believed and that it was wrong to take people's magic away. He's been pretty good about it. 

This years list is pretty short but very expensive. He'll learn this year that we're not made of money. He's getting one expensive one (bike or scooter), stuff he needs (pajamas and jeans). a hockey stick and practice net. And that's our limit. 

Laidbackmommy3
by New Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 2:21 PM

My son was 12 when he stopped believing or admitted that he didn't believe any more. He's been really great this year making sure to make a huge deal about Santa for his little sisters who are 8 & 2 1/2. Telling them stories and telling them they better be good cause Santa knows everything. I was really worried he might slip and ruin it for them, but he is the best big brother ever!

JoanahLee
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I had younger siblings, and we were always told that Santa only comes to see those who believe (or put on a damn good show!).   Most of us stopped believeing in santa somewhere between 7 and 10, but we pretended for the sake of the littler kids until we were grown, and it was just as much fun.   I never believed in Santa because I asked my dad point blank if Santa was real a few weeks after my 3rd birthday and he told me the truth. 

I get what your after here, but what happens when you max out your cards for a little christmas consumer magic, and over the course of the next year he finds out santa is not real, realizes that you were buying those gifts the whole time, and next year he only gets half of whats on his list becasue you cant afford to max your card out every year.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)