dandelionParents have been finding unusual things in their toddler's orifices since the beginning of time. I distinctly remember my mother pulling a Lego out of one of my nostrils when I was 4, and just the other day, I pulled a giant wad of fuzz out of my daughter's mouth. Tasty. But few things can top the mother who recently found a dandelion growing out of her 16-month-old's ear. Yes, growing.

After spotting the weed, little Ranran's parents attempted to remove the dandelion themselves but weren't able to do so, so they called the hospital. Doctors were shocked when they saw what was sprouting from the girl's inner ear. The dandelion was "fully formed," about 2 cm long, completely filling the girl's ear canal. The removal process reportedly only took a few moments and was painless, but apparently wasn't without risk. "Even the slightest bit of pressure put her at risk for internal bleeding so it had to come out," said Gu Qinglong, the hospital's chief physician of otolaryngology.

Ranran's parents recall seeing a seed fall into their child's ear a few months ago but didn't remove it, understandably not thinking a dandelion would plant itself inside. The doctors believe that the "warmth and humidity inside the ear canal encouraged the growth of the dandelion." Ranran is thankfully fine, but wow. Talk about a strange and frightening occurrence. Could you imagine looking inside your child's ear and seeing a garden weed growing inside there? Terrifying.

Of course we don't want to constantly hover over our exploring toddler's shoulders, but let this be a lesson to us all to always do a once-over of our kiddos after they've been playing outside. Most of us often check for ticks, but maybe we should be looking for seeds now, too. And also, if you do ever happen to find something unusual with your child, don't try to deal with it yourself. Call a doctor. Ranran's parents could have seriously injured her, had they pulled out the dandelion themselves. Thank goodness she's okay. And man. Weird.

What's the craziest thing you've ever found in or on your child?